ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: ASC-US result after LEEP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:43 am 

Hi,
I am new to this forum and have some HPV questions, First I had the leep procedure last March 2006, did all of my follow up paps that came back normal except for the very last one , it came back ASCUS. I am frightened as to why this happened being that the previous smears (as part of follow up) came back normal. Is it possible that because this pap test was done 7 days after the start of my period that this test could be ASCUS? (I have previously been tested for HPV with positive result) and is it possible to have leep a second time? I am scheduled for a follow up in July which I will not miss, but I am very frightened, I thought I was on my way to clear paps. Now this again. I have been under alot of stress for other reason as well and also wonder if this can contribute to abnormal pap result, I guess I dont want think it has come back, at least not this soon. Please advise, and thank you ahead of time .

Last edited by pjm on Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

Sometimes a Pap test result will say "ASC-US" which stands for Atypical Squamous Cells of Undetermined Significance. This means that something is causing the Pap test reading to be unclear. Causes can include: a local irritation due to vaginal intercourse, douching, or using tampons 24 hours before the Pap test, yeast infection, HPV, your period, or even a mistake in the preparation of the cell sample. To help sort out these possibilities, another Pap smear may be repeated in several months. Sometimes an HPV DNA test is done along with the Pap. Ask your healthcare provider if you have questions about follow up.

See more on Pap test readings at http://www.ashastd.org/hpv/hpv_learn_dysplasia.cfm#4.

This is all something to sort out with your provider, to be sure, but we can tell you in very general terms that ASC-US Paps often don't relate to HPV and when they do, it's not unusual for them to self-resolve. If treatment is in fact needed, the treatment and subsequent follow up exams almost always prevent health complications from developing.

I hope this helps. Please post again to update us, if you don't mind, and let us know if you have other questions.

All the best,
Fredo

Last edited by Fredo on Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:40 pm 

Thank you so much for your quick response it is GREATLY appreciated !When I had leep done I had a diagnosis of low grade cell change, my OB said low grade, medically lsil or cin 1, leep was done as diagnostic being that I test positive for high risk HPV. I will post again after my next appointment in July, if you have anything further to add please advise and thank you once again.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]