ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Fredo here with a request for our HPV message board community. ASHA publishes HPV News, a bimonthly journal that offers headline coverage along with news items and feature articles on the personal side of HPV.

In each issue we feature a short, anonymous vignette from a vistor to ASHA's site that tells their story about HPV. Sometimes this is from someone dealing with HPV directly, other times it's a partner. This balances out the reporting on headlines, research, and policy with a real world, personal story that most readers seem to like.

Anyone who may like to contribute one or two paragraphs for consideration may either post right here in this discussion thread, or contact us at forums@ashastd.org. Not all entries can be selected, unfortunately, and we will edit stories for clarity and length. There will be a chance to review the final version before publication, if you like.

Below is an example of a story we recently published. We would love to hear from YOU. Thanks for helping us out!

Best,
Fredo

Quote:
At age 19 I had abnormal test results from a routine Pap. Being young, I ignored it and went on my way. Finally at age 23, other medical problems led me to see my doctor; I had another Pap test, was told I had HPV and was at increased risk for developing cervical cancer. When I was diagnosed with HPV, I had never heard of the infection, and there was barely any information available via the Internet. It's amazing to me now to see how much awareness has been spread about HPV! It's still sad though to think that's it's too late for so many of us. After a year and a half of follow up exams, I had a normal Pap test. I haven’t been back to my doctor since my "normal" test result; I guess I was just so relieved to finally hear the word “normal” I thought everything would be ok again. I think maybe I need to get back to the doctor. It's just comforting to know there are so many people sharing similar struggles as mine!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:41 pm 

Hi, I'm thinking about sharing my story for the HPV News and am wondering what else we readers can share. For example, is there a place in the newsletter for us to share books and websites about HPV that we've found to be helpful?

I'm planning to subcribe to HPV News soon -- thanks for this resource!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:31 am 
Site Admin

Hi Amy,

Thanks for you post and we hope you will "share your story" with HPV News. What is most helpful is to recount some of the details of what you've gone through, the challenges you might have faced and how you coped with them. The idea is to let others know they're certainly not alone in dealing with different scenarios and issues around HPV.

Sharing resources like books is probably better done here in the forums, as space in HPV News is limited and we like to focus on the individual's story.

If you'd like to have your story appear in an upcoming issue, you can either post here or send an email to forums@ashastd.org with My Story in the subject line.

Thanks!
Fredo

Post subject: hpv,concerns?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:06 pm 

I just found out today i had hpv and the dr's told me very little. i am 26 and have never heard of this till now. This comes from sex? I it contagious to my male partner? am I supposed to stop having sex until i find out more info? :cry:

Post subject: Re: hpv,concerns?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:18 pm 

pray4me wrote:
I just found out today i had hpv and the dr's told me very little. i am 26 and have never heard of this till now. This comes from sex? I it contagious to my male partner? am I supposed to stop having sex until i find out more info? :cry:

I'm sorry you feel that way Pray---I know at the beginning it can feel very overwhelming but don't lose hope!! There is a lot of information to be had on this forum---just search around a bit and you'll probably find what you're looking for.

If not, Fredo is awesome at answering questions and bringing relief to us here :) And there are plenty of other members that will do their best to reply to whatever inquiries that you have.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]