ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:25 pm 

'Ello, first-time poster here. (I'm 18 and Male)

Long story short, I've had HPV Warts for ~four years now (they haven't cleared on their own yet, and aldara seems to be doing a sub-standard job even after 12 weeks of treatment) and I've been wondering about any possible ways I might be able to spread it to other regions of my body?

Whenever I go to touch my mouth or an eating utensil or toothbrush or anything of that nature, I always have a nagging thought in the back of my head that I could be transmitting the virus from my hand to my mouth , which would devastate me.

For the most part, I've come to accept my condition and no longer feel any shame in having it, I just "worry" about getting an oral infection (I contracted my case via "oral stimulation," hence my apprehension) and it's starting to take its toll on me a little bit without knowing if my fears have any logical basis to them.

So, can HPV be transmitted by touching the infected site with your hand, and then touching your mouth or object that will enter your mouth? (Obviously, this includes washing my hands after touching the affected area.) What about towels? What about touching the area, and then touching something like a doorknob or (to be brutally honest) a keyboard?

What about passing the infection to places that simulate a warm, damp environment like the ears, nose or eyes?

I'm sorry if this comes off as a little paranoid, but google has let me down in answering these questions.

Remember to be gentle, I'm new here. <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:50 am 

You really don't have to worry about spreading your genital hpv infection to other body parts. Just wash your hands after using the toilet or touching yourself intimately like you would normally do anyways.

Were you sexually active 4 years ago when these first appeared? ( not being nosey, just wondering if you were properly diagnosed )

if aldara isn't working after 12 weeks you need to return to your provider or a dermatologist for surgical removal.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:18 pm 

Actually, it was my first encounter and it only happened two times. But yes, I received a blowjob and got it that way. She never told me she had it, but she was my first and only time since then.

And it's not that aldara isn't working, which it marginally is, its just that it's happening slowly on largest clusters of them. The warts I have, however, are relatively small and my doctor told me to try aldara as long as possible, since the more aggressive measures may be a little overkill unless they're REALLY persistent.

But what about if I use the same towel to dry my lower region and face (obviously not in that order, but still...)? Does that pose a risk? What about doorknobs or other surfaces? If I touch them without washing my hands first, can I come back and pick up the virus after I've had a chance to wash them?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]