ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:33 am 

After two months of going out with my boyfriend, i found out from his ex-girlfriend that he has genital warts (We have been sleeping together). When I confronted him about it, he admitted to it. Needless to say he is no longer my boyfriend. I love the guy, but this showed me how much I obviously can't trust him to be honest with me. Is this something worth breaking up over? He begs me to get back with him but I don't know if I should. HELP!!!

Also... if he did not actually have an outbreak of genital warts while we were sleeping together, is there a good chance that I will get them?

I just got a pap smear, does that detect for sure whether or not I have genital warts now? Or will it only detect it if I have symptoms? (which I don't)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:47 am 

So how long ago did he have genital warts? did you see any on him? did he have them treated?

Have you had your gardasil shots?

Did you use condoms with him?

did you talk to him about std's prior to being intimate? did you suggest both of you going for full std testing? Not terribly romantic topics but ones we should all be in the habit of talking about with new partners before intimacy.

if your ex had external genital warts - they are just a cosmetic issue. No different than a wart on your finger or foot. A pap test doesn't test for hpv - it tests for changes in your cervical cells. Some brands of pap tests do also include testing for high risk hpv infections on the cervix. None of the current commercially available testing we get looks for hpv externally - only on the cervix. Unless you get an obvious genital wart, no way to know if you are infected or not.

So should you try to work things out with him? that's a decision you have to make on your own. it's up to you to weigh his good points with his bad points and see how the scale balances out. We can help you with the hpv issues a lot easier than we can with the relationship.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]