ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: ASC-US after LEEP
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:07 am 

Hello again, I have more questions ,I am hoping that you can help me better understand what this could mean. I have a HR/HPV diagnosis, went through a leep procedure last March, my follow up test were coming back clear, the last follow up test came back ascus. I am 43. back in 1998 I had cryo surgery for abnormal cells that was never truely diagnosed, I opted to have these mild changes removed to save myself the anxiety of waiting and seeing if it regresses. Up until Last March(2006) I had normal paps. (about 8yrs of normal paps) In June of 2005 I began seeing a new guy, who in September had a suspicious lesion on his private area, he went to the doctor and was told it could be HP, but wasn't a definite diagnosis. 8 months later (March 2006) I get an abnormal pap with a HR/HPV diagnosis I also had a disgusting internal wart (that I had removed)I had leep for the abnormal cells on my cervix, that I was told was low grade, all follow up paps were normal except for my last one which was ascus. Does this pap result (ascus) along with HR/HPV mean that the abnormal cells are HPV or can you test positive for HPV and not have that be what is causing the abnormal cells? being that I had leep not long ago, is this common to have abnormal cells re appear this soon?. Or could it be something different that is causing an as-cus result? My GYN said I need follow up pap in 4 months, could this be something serious that I shouldn't be waiting 4 months for? I'm trying to better understand what this could mean and having much anxeity, I thought that the leep procedure had taken care of it. Please help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:47 am 
Site Admin

It isn't clear if you have actually had an HPV DNA test or not. Based on having an ASC-US Pap test result and an postive HPV "high risk" DNA test, one probably couldn't say for certain the cell changes are automatically due to the HPV, but the results are suggestive of that. Sometimes follow up is just a repeat Pap in a few months, and in other cases they do a procedure called a "colposcopy" where the clinician uses a special microscope to get a good view of the cervix.

In general, many things can cause an ASC-US Pap result (HPV, yeast, recent intercourse, having your period, and so on.)

ASC-US Paps are rarely positive for cancer and as mentioned in yesterday's response, abnormalities at that level often self resolve. The most important thing is to return for follow up exams as you've indicated you plan to do, and ask your healthcare provider if you have specific questions.

Hope this helps!
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]