ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:13 pm 

I am currently in a relationship with someone who revealed to me that their previous partner has recently been diagnosed with HPV. He has had unprotected sex with her and in all likelihood has HPV himself. We have not started having sex yet and this just adds another thing to think about before adding that to our relationship.

I have not yet had my Gardasil shots but will be going to receive my first shot next Thursday. I was just wondering when these shots start to protect from HPV. I do of course plan on receiving all 3 shots but I was just wondering how protected I am after the first or second one, or do they just not work until the 3rd step is completed?

We will of course be taking all precautions with our sexual relationship but seeing as how condoms aren't 100% effective against contracting HPV, I was just wondering what the level of protection is after the first shot.

Just browsing this board has already helped answer so many questions and I really appreciate any answers that can be given on this. Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:10 am 
Site Admin

Hi Jen,

I'm not sure we know the answer as to how much protection, if any, one might receive after one or two doses of Gardasil. I think the researchers only looked at how well the full three dose regimen worked in preventing warts and cervical cell changes, and didn't assess partial doses.

I'm not sure, but it seems somewhere I read that antibody production (which is the basis of the vaccine) increased prior to all three doses being administered, but it's unknown how well this might protect from lesions (warts and cell changes) caused by the four HPV types covered by the vaccine.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you. Please keep posting if you have any other questions!

Best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:19 pm 

Thank you for your help. I thought that would be the case from everything I found so far but I just wanted to ask around here. So thanks again.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]