ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:15 pm 

Today the doctor called with the results from the colposcopy/biopsy I had done last week. She said that I have two areas of severe dysplasia / CIN III and possibly some inside the cervical canal as well.

She wants to do a LEEP asap. I am so scared. I need to hear any stories of women who have gone through this and came out ok.

I am scared that the LEEP is going to be horribly painful (the biopsy was no picnic).

I am scared that they are going to find cancer in the cervical canal.

I am scared that I am still going to have abnormal paps after having the LEEP done and that this will be going on forever.

I guess I am just plain scared right now. Any comfort would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:43 am 
Site Admin

Hi kiddo,

Of course you're scared! You wouldn't be normal if you weren't. Tell you what, though, click http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3891 to read what a number of the women on our board say about their LEEP experience; I think you'll be encouraged by their insight.

CIN-3 can be treated and that, along with follow-up exams, is almost always effective in preventing invasive diseases from developing. Treatment is effective, and the track record of patient management here is a very good one.

Keep posting, post 10 times a day if you want. We're here for you!

Best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:37 pm 

Thanks for the link Fredo, that was helpful to read. Unfortunately, I have been browsing "other" forums as well (I feel so unfaithful!) and there are some real horror stories out there. Bladders getting nicked, smoke coming out of you-know-where. Honest to god horror movie type stuff. It's gotten me all worked up.

I hope that what I read on here tonight is more the norm and not the exception........

FYI - my LEEP is scheduled for April 30. I sure hope it goes well and more importantly - that they get all of this out of me!!! For two years I have been dealing with abnormal paps/colposcopies. I need this to be over soon for my own sanity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:59 am 
Site Admin

What?! You've been to other boards? And here I was, thinking we had something special!!

:D

I'm marking April 30 on the calendar so we'll be thinking about you. Keep in touch for support between then and now, and please check in with us a couple of days after the LEEP just to let us know how you're doing. You'll be fine, of course, but we'll want to hear from you!

Fredo

Post subject: LEEP/COLPOSCOPY/BIOPSY
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:25 pm 

I have been diagnosed with mild dysplasia when i was 19 yrs old. I am now 31 and am still dealing with all the procedures. I have had many biopsies, Leeps, colposcopies and also had laser surgery to remove part of my cervix. I was told with just the laser surgery that i have less than 50% to conceive a child. Now with all of the others i have had since then, i wonder if it is even possible. i am scheduled to have another colposcopy, and possiblle biopsy at the end of the week. I have been dealing with this for 12 years and i really don't think it will get any better. Has anyone been dealing with this as long as i have and has a sucessful story?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:01 pm 

Well - I had my LEEP today!!! It was much easier than I anticipated and I echo any comments that the anxiety leading up to the event is much worse than the actual procedure.

It only took about 15 minutes. I felt a small sting when the first local shot was given but after that, all I felt was the discomfort of the speculum and some pulling/tugging on my privates. Honestly, the colposcopy/biopsie was worse.

Here it is five hours later and I haven't had one cramp yet, so hopefully that will continue. I have plenty of pain meds on hand incase they creep up.

Now I'm just praying that the margins are clear and that no other problems were identified. I will let you guys know when my results are announced!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:28 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the update, OFG. I'm glad it went smoothly and you're doing so well. This is good news!

Please do keep checking in with us. A lot of women will benefit from reading your posts.

Eagerly waiting your next report...!

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]