ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:44 am 

Hi,

I have been scouring the internet trying to find answers to all my qustions about HPV and this site has been more than helpful. I still had some questions though, if anyone could help i would really appreciate it;
My gf a little over 2 years ago discovered some lesions, went to the doctor and found out it was HPV. She said she knew who had given it to her, i wasn't angry, upset, although we had already slept together and we were using condoms i knew i was susceptible to HPV. 2 months later, i had several bumps around the base of my shaft,...genital warts. I took Aldara, after about a month it cleared up. My gf had a leep procedure to remove her lesions, we continued having sex after both of us had healed, i have had no re-occurences since, so almost two years now.
I am dating someone new, and although we are not sexually active yet, i know this is something i need to address with her. I am going to be as up front and open with her but i'm not sure what is true and what is not;

1) I know that i have HPV. However since i have no signs does that mean my immune system has most likely suppressed it? And at this point its possible that i could transfer it to her but she may never show signs?
2) If i recieve oral sex from her is it something that she can get?
3) If genital warts is considered low-risk HPV does her getting the Gardesil (sp?) vaccine mean that she wont get it from me? Or since there are so many diifrerent HPV vaccines she could still get it from me, but it reduces her risk of getting the kind that could be cervical cancer?
4) If she does get HPV, is it the same kind i have and i may not have another occurrence and she might show warts, or could it be different kind which means i could break out again?

I want to make sure i know how to answer some of her questions when i tell her, in addition to directing her to this site and others for more information. Thank you to anyone who reads or provides any answers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:49 am 
Site Admin

Hi krm,

Thanks for your post. Here is an excerpt from something I posted the other day to someone who was wondering about partner notification:

Quote:
While recognizing the decision is yours and yours alone, I respectfully say that I don't think it's imperative you bring up HPV with this partner.

Even if you had HPV in the past, it doesn't mean you have it now, or can necessarily transmit the virus to a new partner. This is a tricky one to figure out because NO HPV test measures something like infectivity, but it is pretty plain that most HPV infections clear naturally over time, usually within a matter of months (instead of years).

Also, there are rarely medical complications that arise with an HPV infection, especially the types related to warts.

Now, I will say this. Sometimes the best reason to discuss HPV with a partner is because you feel totally compelled to get it off your chest. In this case, just be aware that the reason behind bringing the subject up is not really to benefit the partner. If you do decide to have the conversation, let me know and I'll be happy to go over some talking points with you. Again, though, I don't think you have any moral or practical reason to do so.

If i recieve oral sex from her is it something that she can get?

Genital HPV types don't commonly result in a diagnosis of oral warts. The usual recommendation here is not to perform oral sex on a partner while warts are present.

If genital warts is considered low-risk HPV does her getting the Gardasil vaccine mean that she wont get it from me? Or since there are so many diifrerent HPV [types] she could still get it from me, but it reduces her risk of getting the kind that could be cervical cancer?

Gardasil covers four HPV types, the two found with about 90% of genital warts and two more that are responsible for 70% of cervical cancers. If she's already sexually active, she well may have one or more of these types already.

If she does get HPV, is it the same kind i have and i may not have another occurrence and she might show warts, or could it be different kind which means i could break out again?

If she does get HPV from you, it would be the same type you have and is unlikely to cause you any additional trouble.

I hope this helps. Post again anytime.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]