ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:47 pm 

Going on a year now with warts, made repeated trips to the dermatologists, but they keep coming back, now i have lost my insurance and cant afford to go as often or at all. The treatment was basically just him using the nitrogen spray bottle for 10 seconds... so i've been wondering about how to get my hands on one of those bottles and just saving myself the embarassing doctor trips and money in the long run. Ive checked online and the cheapest i can find range from $500-$600. Though this is just the applicator, you have to buy a dewar(container), which is also expensive, to transport the actual liquid nitrogen from somewhere that will actually sell you liquid nitrogen.

Im curious if theres anyone here that's more involved in the medical community that can recommend a way acquiring one of these sprayers, or give me some more information.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:59 am 
Site Admin

Hi there,

I hear you on the difficulty of getting treatment when you don't have insurance. That has to be one of the most frustrating things ever and I'm sorry it's so hard right now. Please don't try and treat genital warts yourself, as it can be hard to control how much tissue is destroyed, both surface area and depth. Genital skin is much different from that found in other areas, and can be tricky to work with in medical settings.

Let's see if we can offer some solutions, though. Have you tried either your city/county health department, or a Planned Parenthood clinic? Often they offer free or sliding-scale treatment options. Another tactic is to try and see if you can work out a payment plan with a provider. Is there a medical school with a teaching hospital nearby? Get in touch with them to see what they offer.

If you want us to search for clinics in your area, send your ZIP code to forums@ashastd.org and we'll see what we come up with.

Let's keep thinking this through...

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]