ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Which HPV number am I?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:34 am 

Ok, so I just found out this week that I am HPV positive for "low risk HPV". The pathologist report read, "low risk positive for types 6, 11, 42, 43, OR 44". What on earth do they mean OR?!?!? However, all the low risk types include: 6, 11, 42, 43, 44, 54, 60, 70, 72, and 81. How were they able to eliminate me for types 54, 60, 70, 72, and 81??? Why can't they tell me the exact number of virus code I have since 6 and 11 differ so much from the other low risk types??

I know that only 6 and 11 cause genital warts. So of course I had a colposcopy and luckily no lesions were found. However, why can't they tell me exactly which number I have? Why do I just have to sit around and wonder if I am gonna break out in genital warts one day? Of course I am going to get PAP Smears every 6 months either way, but I would like to know which number HPV virus I have, or numbers, to know maybe how carefully I need to be inspecting and having my partner inspecting for lumps and bumps on one another?? I mean is there no test other than just one that catogorizes them into different low and high risk groups? That seems a bit old school with all the DNA technology testing we have available today. I would feel so much better knowing it was type 42 or something that didn't cause warts, and I would continue to have regular exams,

They say stress can cause break outs maybe right? Well I am very stressed wondering daily if I am going to need to have my genitals lasered due to warts. I actually work in the surgery field and have to assisst with these operations on a weekly basis. So yes, it does scare me a little bit! They always say health care workers are the worst patients!

Thanks for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:59 am 
Site Admin

Hello and welcome to our forums!

Quote:
Ok, so I just found out this week that I am HPV positive for "low risk HPV". The pathologist report read, "low risk positive for types 6, 11, 42, 43, OR 44". What on earth do they mean OR?!?!? Why can't they tell me the exact number of virus code I have??

HPV DNA testing currently used in clinical settings can, depending on the panel run, detect the presence of "high risk" and/or "low risk" HPV, but doesn't determine the specific genotype of HPV that is present, reporting instead that "at least one" of the types screened for was found. Tests that do isolate specific genotypes may be approved for clinical use one day (one such test was submitted to FDA for review just last month).

Quote:
I know that only 6 and 11 cause genital warts.

HPV types 6 and 11 are found in approximately 90% of genital warts but other types (including HPV 42) can also cause these lesions. Regardless of HPV type(s) that one may have, though, the vast majority of cases do not result in any visible signs or symptoms, and knowing the genotype that is present probably wouldn't offer much insight into whether or not a specific case may result in visible lesions.

Quote:
They say stress can cause break outs maybe right? Well I am very stressed wondering daily if I am going to need to have my genitals lasered due to warts.

There may be something to that, as anything that overtaxes the immune system (stress, smoking, poor diet, lack of rest, etc.) could simply hinder the body's ability to respond to HPV. I don't know if you should worry too much, though, as your reaction to HPV seems very normal, actually, and you are obviously in tune with this information. Mayby it would help to take a break from the HPV research and do something to treat yourself, and look at ways you can relax a bit. We'll be here when you're ready to chat some more!

Quote:
They always say health care workers are the worst patients!

:) You seem fine to me! I hope this helps a bit and if you think of anything else, let us know.

All the best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]