ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:19 am 

Hello i got GW/HPV in 1998 and had a difficult time clearing the warts. After 5 years they seemed to go away and were much less frequent. When i found this site in 2007 my heart hurt as i read so many peoples stories. Let me tell you its never as bad as you think.

I have a question, last year i met my girlfriend and explained about my GW/HPV infection before we were intimate. We talked about it often incase anything showed up we could find treatment. Well she just got the results back from her pap and they said ASCUS or AGUS (i don't remember exactly) i went with her and the doctor said come back in 6 months for another pap. I feel for all you women that have to hear these results from doctors that don't seem it understand what your about to go through.

My question is "i thought the HPV virus that causes GW does not cause cell changes on the cervix? does that mean that the abnormal pap actually means that she has GW and maybe the warts are small? Can she go now to get the warts removed? Or do these cell changes mean something different?

Considering that i have lived through this before, would you recommend finding treatment now? based on the fact that we know it is HPV? I am concerned that she may have the same persistant strain that i had?

I guess i am concerned because i always thought the my partner would show signs of GW if they were infected? Now i'm concerned that these cell changes could get worse?

Thank you for your help,
J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hi ert7,

Low-risk HPV types do sometimes cause lesions that are detected on Pap tests, but these are considered to have no realistic potential to lead to cancer.

ASC-US Paps are, more often than not, unrelated to HPV. Even when they are, the abnormalities most often clear naturally and therefore usually require no treatment. Follow-up with a repeat Pap at six months is common.

Keep us posted, if you don't mind.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:36 am 

Thank you Fredo i will...

I must say its been awhile since i was on the board, good news for me i guess. But i would just like to compliment you for your leadership, when people first find out about HPV there are alot of questions and the countless hours that you spend helping answers those questions is so valuable to us.

Keep up the great work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:18 am 
Site Admin

Thank you so much for the kind words. It's my pleasure to serve this board, and the best part is interacting with folks like you.

I appreciate your comments!

Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:10 pm 

I don't know how much this helps, but I didn't have any symptoms, but my ex bf had genital warts on his penis and it cause an abnormal pap for me. LSIL, but no cancerous or precancerous cells per the biopsy.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]