ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:20 pm 

Hi,
I've been reading through the messages here and you are offering great advie; first, thanks so much for creating an outlet such at this -- it's been very emotional for me finding out that I have HPV, and this forum has been very encouraging.

I am a 25 year old female who just found out that I have HPV; I am not sure who infected me, but I have two small GWs that I am taking Condolyne Solution to treat. I have just entered a new relationship; I was extremely up front with my new partner in explaining to him that I have HPV; he is very understanding, but obviously as this is a new relationship and I am newly diagnosed, we have loads of questions. Any insight you may be able to provie will be very welcomed!

I have been treating the GWs with condolyne solution for over a month. The original treatment was best before 03/09 and I received this at the end of February/first of march; the GWs had not gone away and I received another perscription which was given to me with a best before of 05/10 -- maybe the date doesn't matter, but the GWs seem to be disappearing this time. Now, the question:

1.) How do I know when the GWs are gone? Will they be scars of red, or just completely invisible as if I have never had them before?

2.) are there any risks in me giving my partner oral sex? I understand there may be risks in him giving me oral sex while I have the GWs, but is there any problem with ME giving it to HIM? Also, can he give me oral sex when the GWs have cleared, or will he still be at risk of getting HPV?

3.) I understand that condoms are not 100%; if I do not have signs of GWs and we use a condom, can HPV be transmitted (like the virus) or is it only skin-to-skin contact with a GW that will transmit the virus while using a condom (I am presuming that without a condom it can be transmitted by vaginal/seminal fluids!?)?

4.) Can I transmit HPV by kissing (I feel silly asking this, cause I am sure the answer is NO, but I feel that I should ask it anyway)?

5.) If my partner fingers me and I do not have any signs of GWs, but he then touches himself, is there possibility of him getting HPV?

6.) How will I know when HPV has completely left my system? Is it only a Pap test that can determine if the high-risk HPV is gone, as opposed to low-risk?

7.) Will it ever be safe for me not to use a condom during sex again?

8.) what is the liklihood of me passing HPV to my child if I have been treated for GWs and no signs reoccur?

9.) Can you transmit HPV by taking a bath with someone? I understand that it's transmitted through direct contact, but if you are sharing bath water does this put your partner at risk?

Sorry for all the questions, I am sure there are a million more that I have; I am so thankful for your advice and information --- it's made all of this much easier to cope with.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:22 am 
Site Admin

Hi there, and thanks for posting.

1.) How do I know when the GWs are gone? Will they be scars of red, or just completely invisible as if I have never had them before?

Condyline is, I believe, the version of Condylox that's marketed in the E.U. According to the U.S. package insert for Condylox, "warts will change from a fleshy skin color to a dry...look, then disappear." See if your product has a similar insert which describes the process.

2.) are there any risks in me giving my partner oral sex? I understand there may be risks in him giving me oral sex while I have the GWs, but is there any problem with ME giving it to HIM? Also, can he give me oral sex when the GWs have cleared, or will he still be at risk of getting HPV?

An infection in your genital skin won't be transmitted to a partner by your giving them oral sex.

3.) I understand that condoms are not 100%; if I do not have signs of GWs and we use a condom, can HPV be transmitted (like the virus) or is it only skin-to-skin contact with a GW that will transmit the virus while using a condom (I am presuming that without a condom it can be transmitted by vaginal/seminal fluids!?)?

HPV is transmitted via skin to skin contact, not a fluid exchange. Condoms are probably effective for the skin they cover, then, but of course skin not covered can be at risk.

4.) Can I transmit HPV by kissing (I feel silly asking this, cause I am sure the answer is NO, but I feel that I should ask it anyway)?

Not silly at all. A genital HPV infection isn't transmitted by kissing, no. If someone had active, oral lesions it would probably be best not to let anyone have contact with the area, although it's not known just how much (if any) risk might be involved with kissing in those circumstances.

5.) If my partner fingers me and I do not have any signs of GWs, but he then touches himself, is there possibility of him getting HPV?

No one has studied this, but the risk seems small.

6.) How will I know when HPV has completely left my system? Is it only a Pap test that can determine if the high-risk HPV is gone, as opposed to low-risk?

No test can definitively answer this. See below for more.

7.) Will it ever be safe for me not to use a condom during sex again?

Hard to answer, because there's no way to test to see if one if able to transmit the virus at a given point. The virus usually clears in 6-24 months. Read more about this in some of our previous disscussions: http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=394

8.) what is the liklihood of me passing HPV to my child if I have been treated for GWs and no signs reoccur?

Even women with active warts at the time of delivery rarely infect their babies. Don't lose sleep over this one.

9.) Can you transmit HPV by taking a bath with someone? I understand that it's transmitted through direct contact, but if you are sharing bath water does this put your partner at risk?

Skin to skin contact is the risk.

I hope this helps. Post again anytime.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]