ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:10 pm 

I did something that is in hindsight incredibly unwise, especially considering my manic-depression and anxiety disorder...

Okay.

I've been kind of seeing this guy and when we discussed sex, I asked if he had STDs. He said he has what he believes his soon to be ex-wife of 14 years gave him, "a genital wart". Oh I said. He said he never had it confirmed to be a wart but one person (guy who gave him a vasectomy) said it's probably nothing to worry about but another (somebody at the health department) said it could be a wart and to get it checked for sure.

Well later I checked it out. He pointed me to this big, brown birthmark that's been there all his life and it's in the fold of like his "cut" region where like the pubic area ends and the upper thigh begins. Then he shows me the "wart" and it looks very similar. It isn't on his penis tip, it isn't on the shaft, and it's like maybe an inch or slightly less from where the penis begins and maybe a little over an inch from where the pubic hair starts at it's highest point on his pelvis. I guess I should say that REALLY dense, hairy part that's around the base of a penis, it's right outside of that.

I asked him more stuff and he said he's had it for 5 years and it's gotten bigger but hasn't gone away, there was never another one, and it just kind of sits there. He also said he's never seen it on his ex with whom he's been intimate with until last Christmas or so and to whom he attributed the transmission to.

Well last night, we DID end up having protected intercourse. Now I'm scared I may get it. I admit we had some to drink especially me but I was also the one ot initiate it and he had NEVER pressured me at any point. In other there is NOTHING to suggest he's hiding something or doesn't care about my well-being. In fact it's the opposite - he cares A LOT.

A few factors? I completed my Gardasil treatment and for all intents and purposes, nothing but the condom-clad penis "touched" me and in fact I had my hand covering the vulnerable area lest it did.

So...

- does that spound like a wart on him? He doesn't have health insurance and hasn't for years and can't afford a derm right now. I know it's not exactly common for one to be in that area but it has happened.

If it is...
- does it make a difference that my skin didn't touch the wart, or that my skin didn't touch any of the skin not covered by the condom?
- that I completed my Gardasil treatment in January, does this protect me from transmission even if something did touch?

In short, how much do I need to worry? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 pm 

Okay the hotline isn't helping, just hanging up on me because they have "high demand" and telling me to come here and nobody is answering me here.

So what am I supposed to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:12 pm 

Let me just say... hooray for Gardasil. You completed the treatment, correct? That 3rd shot is there to give you the biggest boost of protection. And if this guy actually has a strain (or more) of HPV, you now have 90% protection against the most common strains that cause warts.

Deep breath in, deep breath out.

I'm sorry you're frustrated with the hotline.. I'm sure that you're freaking out. But, like you, there are lots of people with questions. And April happens to be STD Awareness month, so with increased awareness comes increased questions and sometimes fear... and increased access to that hotline.

By the way, your guy doesn't need to go to a dermatologist to get a wart removed. He can go to a local STD clinic or Planned Parenthood. Check the going rates there.. here in Utah, it costs $40 to get warts removed.
Condoms don't protect 100% against HPV.. you're right.. because HPV is spread via skin-to-skin contact.. it's spread, for example, via that area where it sounds like he may have something going on. No one will be able to tell him what it is without taking a look at it, though.

Good luck to you... again--God bless Gardasil.

Kristina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:23 pm 

Thank you. Yes I called 9 times tops and 5 of those times I stayed on until the recording threw me off. :evil: :roll: :cry:

The thing is, I live in Metro Detroit (MI). The health centers here do not test for non-bacterial STDs outside of HIV/AIDS. The STD clinics are pretty hostile and only let you go like once every 6 months or longer (so if you got an AIDS test there, that counts) and you need insurance. However I've contacted the Planned Parenthood and they seem able to help but 1) he is currently fighting for his kids and in the midst of a divorce after being seperated for 3 years and, 2) of course there is a long waiting period for PP unless I just want to go in and ask a question. But that'll cost money. Grrr...

Yes I did indeed complete the treatment! Had I not I wouldn't even have done it. But it's like before we did I took every precaution: I had Gardasil, he wore a condom and we made sure nothing but what the condom covered touched me even though the thing isn't even on his penis (it's like on the lower part of his abdoman/upper pubic bone. Odd.).

Now you say it is indeed spread "via the area he has that going on". Okay but what if I didn't come into contact with that area? As I said, we made sure only his condom-covered penis touched me (I told him to make sure right as we were grabbing the condom in fact) and I unless I over-think it with "what if... what if...", I'm pretty prosive no other area at all touched me, "wart" area or not. So again what if that area didn't touch me at all? Does that lower it even further?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:12 pm 

hello--

after reading your string of posted information- was wondering it this particular area of potential "wart" isn't in fact a skin tag or other something?

from what i understand- areas that often get rubbed (under arms, etc) or areas of clothing friction (underwear band areas) can produce sort of bumps and "tags".

just a thought- since it was reported to remain unchanged for the most part- and no additional areas have been noted.

hope this helps as something for thought is all. take care

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]