ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:29 pm 

Hi there...I'm 21 and have GWs for about 3 years now. I've been getting them treated for the past year continuously, and still haven't rid myself of them. :?

I've been using Aldara for a long time - much longer than the supposed 4-month maximum - under the guidance of my family doctor. Now, I'm not a pharmacologist...though I am majoring in Microbiology and Immunology. I get some serious inflammation from Aldara, which suggests it's doing it's thing - provoking an immune response, unleashing the interferon, cytotoxic T-cells, cytokines, etc. The problem is, I've been consistently getting this reaction for nearly a year now. After using this cream for so long, I'm wondering at what point I decide enough is enough, and that some other method of treatment is needed.

At first, I would go in for liquid nitrogen treatment once a week, and use Aldara 3 times a week. Things went well, and the warts decreased in size..though they have never quite disappeared.

It seems whenever I stop going in for liquid nitrogen treatments (again, as directed by my doctor), they come back and become worse than before. This leads me to think that the Aldara doesn't have enough kick on it's own. This is another frightening thought, because it seems (just from looking at online testimonials and journal articles) that most people tend to have great results in clearing GWs with Aldara alone.

The other problem is, my doctor doesn't seem to advocate anything other than Aldara + Cryo. I've been waiting to see a dermatologist but the wait for one is very long.

So, after this long, jumbled and desperate tirade, my question is: is it time for me to move on from Aldara? I was thinking I would attempt to get some Veregen or Podofilox, but I'm worried my doctor won't prescribe them to me. Any advice for me in my situation would be great...I'm just finding the picture looks more and more grim every day I wake up and they're still there, and the standard treatments don't seem to help.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:56 pm 

Hi there Naturalbornkillercell

After I read your posting I felt I had to respond to you. I myself has a brief battle with anal warts...four months to be exact. There weren't that many to begin with, but I still couldn't grasp how it had happened since I had never had anal sex! Fredo fortunately schooled me and now I have been clear for three months and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they never show up again!!

At first I was prescribed Aldara but I didn't feel like it did anything to help the cause so I tried getting them frozen. Seemed to work but then another one would pop up. Fredo did mention to me that the first three months is when a person usually get a reoccurrence, which of course happened to me. Frustrated, I started researching different treatments and I got my doctor to prescribe me Condylox (worked but itched like hell!!) and she also burned them with TCA. I also changed my diet, started exercising EVERYDAY, lost weight and have been taking vitamins ever since then. I'm doing EVERYTHING in my power to keep my immune system up.

As you probably know, Fredo says that HPV is usually not a persistent infection and is almost always cleared by the development of your own natural immunity to the virus. There is no way to precisely figure out how long this might take BUT...most recurrances with warts happen within the first three months following treatment, and 90% of HPV infections become undetectable in 6-24 months.

Please discuss the options I listed for you with your doctor and let us know how it goes. Good luck to you!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:46 pm 

thanks for replying. :)
I've never used condylox or TCA...I think I'll bring those up with my doctor. I'm definitely going to schedule an appointment for this week.

I glad you were able to get rid of them so quickly. I guess I'm just worried because I feel like I do everything right and they persist. At 3 years and counting, I'm just that rare person who hasn't been able to shake the infection...and it sucks. I take zinc daily for the immune boost, and started drinking green tea religiously, after hearing some people who say that helps.

Once again thanks for responding...I hope things get better soon, I've been seeing a girl and it's been torture not being able to be touched or anything...I'm just glad she likes me enough to stick around while I deal with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:08 pm 

Sorry to hear about your difficulties with GW and HPV. Considering you've had them for 3 years i'm sure you've done your research and understand the virus quite well. It is upsetting when you feel like there should be answers and there is not.

I'm 29 male and when i was 18 i got GW. My situation was exactly as yours where after 3 years they were still coming back. I had tried condolyne and Aldara and neither one helped, considering that some people can clear them on their own without treatment i was frustrated to say the least.

I continued to get them frozen off, that was the only treatment that i felt would get rid of them, i thought i would never get rid of them, and though i'd be alone forever. Then in the 3-4 year they just seemed to go away, not like turning on a light switch but they gradually just went away.

Talk to someone, sister, friend or girlfriend. I went 4 years before i had told a single soul and it was tourture. Find someone you can trust. When I was 23 i met a girl, i was worried rejection when i told her about my GW but that didn't happen. We talked about it alot and ended up having a great relationship. It ended 3 years later but the reason i'm telling you this is "its ok to live with GW, be honest to yourself and to her"

The point i'm trying to make is... this won't go on forever (even though it seems that way) just keep a strong head on your shoulders be honest, and one day it will all be different. You arer always going to say to yourself "this shouldn't have happened to me" but it did....

It is not important what hapens in life but how you react to what happens.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:58 pm 

hello-

i was reading items specific to GW and came across this posting. i was diagnosed with GW about 6 weeks ago and the information is certainly confusing to say the least!

my GW started as one area that was treated with TCA alone and the doctor continued to treat that same area for 3 additional TCA treatments. she thought the "wait and see" for the first 8 to 12 weeks was the best plan.

well now entering into week 7 there are many more areas of small white bumps or flesh colored bumps- appearing in multiple genital areas. i am frustrated so say the least with the single-treatment and wait and see advice.

next week i have a dermatologist appointment to get a second opinion and treatment plan recommendation. wondering how you were doing on your GW resolution now?

seems like this virus reacts so differently with many people certainly. hope you are feeling better soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hi chica,

You're right, treatments don't work the same with everyone, and multiple treatments are usually needed to clear warts. If you don't mind, check in with us again after you meet with the dermatologist.

Thanks,
Fredo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:10 pm 

hello-

wanted to post an update today, following my dermatologist appointment.

sorry to say but the waiting list of 2 weeks was certainly not worth my time.

after a head to toe evaluation of moles, freckles, etc- i nearly had to insist the reason for my appointment was HPV evalutation and discussion of treatment options! (how frustrating)

the good news is that all the areas of moles and such are in good order- one thing "off the list" i guess?

we had a brief discussion about HPV- both genital and oral- and i was promptly told that anything with the mucosal (sp?) membranes was a dermatology speciality. to say the least i was NOT impressed.

gave me a couple of names of dermatologist specialiast to contact and get evaluated and wished me well.

i asked about "cryo" options- and she said they only really recommend Aldara for all types of wart and skin leision issues.

later this week i have a return doctor appointment with my treating physician- how frustrating.

either way, just wanted to post an update in case a "dermatologist specializing in mucus membranes" may be an idea for others struggling for good treatment options.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]