ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: leep and pregnancy?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:07 am 

my doctor says i need to have a leep but im not going to have the procedure because it weakens the cervix and causes infertility issues like misscarriages and so im trying to use vitamin supplements to see if the dysplasia will heal on its own if i do have the leep i'll be horribly depressed and ill want to die because I'll feel like a part of my cervix is gone. Has anyone ever had the leep or cone procedure and then have gotten pregnent without complications I just want to know if its possible please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:56 pm 

I had not heard that LEEP could weaken the cervix thereby preventing pregnancy. I just received this treatment last July and was never informed of this type of complication. I also have a friend who had this treatment about 10 years ago and she went on to have 2 healthy little baby boys. Where did you hear this information? I am interested as in all the reading I've done I've not seen anything that describes these kinds of complications. Personally, I am more afraid of cancer and therefore it wasn't even a thought that I wouldn't do it - I had high grade lesions which means it likely would have led to cancer at some point if I left it. Why are they suggesting a leep for you? I thought they typically didn't suggest this procedure unless you had high grade lesions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:51 pm 

I have cin 2 which is under high grade dysplasia and the cervix functions to hold a baby in the uterus so if they take out some of it it becomes thin and weak and in all my pamplets that my doctors gave me says so i even asked my doctor and she said it can it just depends on how much they have to take out and how deep depending on the cells that are damaged each persons leep is diffrent and during the leep some cells that are fine can be accidentally removed.

Maybe your friends leep there wasnt too much damage so they didnt have to take out as much.

"A risk that goes along with having the LEEP procedure performed includes weakening of the cervix, which can then result in a complicated pregnancy or fertility problems. The more tissue that needs to be removed during the LEEP, the higher the risk".

http://uistudenthealth.com/question/def ... d=9&id=608

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:11 pm 

http://cancer.about.com/od/treatmentopt ... cyLEEP.htm

How do you not know anything about that the leep causes cervical incompetence your doctor did not go over this with you my doctors told me it does its just a risk factor everyone should know about and doctors should inform their patients.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:25 pm 

My OBGYN did NOT at any time mention this as a potential risk!! Thank you so much for sending the links. I guess as my friend is concerned I would imagine given what is indicated here that she only had a small section removed. I will ask her too to see if they discussed this with her as well. I agree they should always discuss the risks - interestingly they handed me information regarding the procedure prior to and that also didn't indicate anything about potential problems with pregnancy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:37 am 
Site Admin

Most women are able to have children following a LEEP and I think the issue might be more pronounced for women who need more than one surgery. There are procedures (such as cervical cerclage, or “stitching”) that may help in some cases to restore the integrity and stability of the cervix during pregnancy: Click to read a pdf fact sheet from the University of Washington: http://depts.washington.edu/dippweb/micc-cervcerc.pdf It's correct, then, that risks exist re: pregnancey following LEEP but most often this is not insurmountable.

Of course this all varies each each case, depending on the exact location of cervical abnormalities and the amont of tissue to be removed. it’s best to consult your health care provider to see what may be indicated for your specific case.

Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:59 am 

What is the best pregnancy test to take at home? In your opinion, from personal experience or word of mouth, what is the most accurate in home pregnancy test? Any comparisons and/or prices of the tests would also be appreciated. Do you know how soon you can take the tests before your first missed period?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:57 am 
Site Admin

Hi sarahex,

We don't have any information about home pregnancy tests and I'm sorry we can't help you directly. You might find some information that's helpful at
http://www.womenshealth.gov/FAQ/pregnancy-tests.cfm.

Good luck!
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]