ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: More Questions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:17 am 

All,

Sorry to be such a pest - I am a closet hypochondriac.

Here are some new questions:

1) In my original post I mentioned heavy petting. I did not mention the fact that there was significant vaginal penetration with my fingers. I did not believe this was relevant until recently - as I was doing research on the web.

It looks like HPV can not only infect the genital region, but also your finger nails and finger tips? Is this true? Does this mean that my fingers may now be infected and capable of not only infecting my genitals, but also new partners? How contagious is "finger-born" HPV? I care for some very young children. Can I infect them when I clean them/change their diaper?

The source of this information was almost 10 years old. Is there anything new to confirm/deny this?

2) Although I am not exhibiting any genital warts - I recently felt (what I believed to be) the onset of a urinary tract infection (persistent urge to urinate and mild discomfort). My doctor (who knows my story) gave me an antibiotic.

However, in my research I found that "In one study of chronic urethritis, HPV was detected in 31% of specimens positive..."

I now wonder if my current urinary tract infection is not a symptom of an HPV infection. Any thoughts?

3) The mystery around this disease is driving me crazy! I know there is some testing of the disease out there. I would gladly drive somewhere or fly somewhere just for peace of mind.

Does anyone know about Digene Hybrid Capture® HPV DNA Test? How reliable is the test? According to one site a "Digene Test requires either a cervical swab, penile urethral swab, or biopsy material of a wart". If that is true, why isn't this test more widely available?

Also, what about PCR testing for HPV DNA. Does anyone know about this? Who does this for men? Where can I go to get it?

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:36 am 
Site Admin

Sorry to be such a pest - I am a closet hypochondriac.

:) I think you're kinda out of the closet on this one!

Here are some new questions:

1) In my original post I mentioned heavy petting. I did not mention the fact that there was significant vaginal penetration with my fingers. I did not believe this was relevant until recently - as I was doing research on the web.

It looks like HPV can not only infect the genital region, but also your finger nails and finger tips? Is this true? Does this mean that my fingers may now be infected and capable of not only infecting my genitals, but also new partners? How contagious is "finger-born" HPV? I care for some very young children. Can I infect them when I clean them/change their diaper?

The source of this information was almost 10 years old. Is there anything new to confirm/deny this?

HPV detected under fingernails doesn't equate to an established infection, etc. Just means some of the viral DNA has been found there. No one knows just what this means in terms of a transmission risk, so it's hard for me to say "oh, don't worry" but heck, any such risk doesn't seem to be great. We know that virtually all sexually active people have HPV at some point, for example, but there isn't an epidemic of infants being diagnosed with genital infections due to diaper changing. I suspect this might be more of an issue for someone who has active lesions (like warts).

2) Although I am not exhibiting any genital warts - I recently felt (what I believed to be) the onset of a urinary tract infection (persistent urge to urinate and mild discomfort). My doctor (who knows my story) gave me an antibiotic.

However, in my research I found that "In one study of chronic urethritis, HPV was detected in 31% of specimens positive..."

I now wonder if my current urinary tract infection is not a symptom of an HPV infection. Any thoughts?

If you pulled 100 men randomly off the street and sampled them for HPV, probably that many or more would test positive. I've never heard there's a cause and effect relationship between HPV and urethritis. I'm not familiar with the study you're mentioning, but I wonder if they simply found HPV DNA present, or any lesions in the urethra (like warts)?

3) The mystery around this disease is driving me crazy! I know there is some testing of the disease out there. I would gladly drive somewhere or fly somewhere just for peace of mind.

Does anyone know about Digene Hybrid Capture® HPV DNA Test? How reliable is the test? According to one site a "Digene Test requires either a cervical swab, penile urethral swab, or biopsy material of a wart". If that is true, why isn't this test more widely available?

Also, what about PCR testing for HPV DNA. Does anyone know about this? Who does this for men? Where can I go to get it?

HPV DNA tests aren't approved for clinical use with men at this point, and it's doubtful having one would clear up all of your anxiety. You'd really have to sample the entire anogenital area for "peace of mind" testing, and that still wouldn't address the worries about your fingers, etc.

Hope this helps!

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]