ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:29 am 

I just found out that the guy whom I´ve dated for some time, has HPV (he just found out, and I do trust him about recently knowing) Eventhough we always had sex with condoms, I now know that it´s not 100% safe, and one time the condom kinda broke (had a leak) On Monday I will visit my ginecologist just to be sure and take care ahead of time.

I´ve spent the past couple of hours or so reading everything I can about this (yes, I´m terrified, and yet don´t know if I should cry or yell or what), but I´m really big time concerned about my kids. I´m a divorced mom, and my two teenagers (13 and 15) live with me. Is there a way they can be infected by using my bathroom, for example... or using my towel....

I haven´t found anything about this, and this is what mostly is worrying me big time. Yes, I got infected (or so I think) and am taking care of this, but while I get diagnosed, I can´t and don´t want to risk my kids.

What can I do? Any special measures I should take care of, do....?

Please, I really need help ASAP on domestic-preventive measures.

And thank you sooooo much for this awesome place. I panniced when I found out about being infected, and my kids, keeping them safe while home, was my second concern.

Thank you!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:15 am 

Hi Montse,

I'd encourage you to slow down a little and take a deep breath! My understanding is that your kids have little to no risk of contracting HPV from common household items. Here's a past thread very similar to yours where a moderator addresses the concern directly in the last post:

http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4732

As far as your health, remember that even if your gynocologist does find warts or cervical changes, you are very likely to eventually clear the virus and be just fine. The fact that you're going to get things checked out just makes that even more likely, since you'll get treatment for anything out of the ordinary they find. Try to remember that this is a very common virus, although I do understand the stress it can cause. Best of luck to you, and as the mods always say, please post if you have any other questions.

Post subject: Thank you!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:31 am 

Hi Bear:

Deep breath, huh???? It really feels kinda difficult to even breath now. This place has really helped clearing tons of things for me, and has helped me breath!

Thank you soooooo much for answering to my post and for the link you gave. It was exactly what I needed to know: my kids are safe!!!! I even cried, happy tears. That is sooo good in the middle of this.

I know now it´s a very common virus, almost "self curable" and if the kind I have is something else, I´m happy I found out early and am down in business taking care, so I know I´ll be fine. It´s more about the answer to "why me?" And yes, I know that I´m all stressed out now and that it´s not that bad, after all....

Thank you, Bear, from the bottom of my heart!!!!! And yes, I will definitely keep posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:28 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Bear! Great response.

Hi Montse,

I'm glad you found us. Please keep in touch to let us know how you're doing. If you need to take your mind off things for awhile, visit our new Chill Lounge forum and hang out with us there.

Best always,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]