ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Confused...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:14 pm 

I was diagnosed six months ago after noticing a few cluster of warts. The doctor froze these off and I never had any problems again. I had my yearly 3 months ago which came back abnormal but after having a biopsy, it said I did not have any indications of cervical cancer (which was good news!) I have recently started dating someone and have told him about what is going on. I guess I am just wondering the risk that he has of contracting this from me? I have talked to my doctor but usually just leave more confused than when I started. I also am still confused on whether I have hsv-2 or hpv??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:47 am 

HSV-1/HSV-2 are the Herpes Simplex Virus - e.g., the virus that causes genital herpes and cold sores. HPV (Human papilomavirus) is a the virus that causes Genital Warts (as well as all other kinds of warts).

If you have warts, you have HPV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:39 pm 

Thank you for replying!!! So with HPV what is the risk to him? I know condoms don't do everything but is that really just the best option? Or is there something else I can do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:25 am 
Site Admin

Condoms are likely effective for the skin they cover, and do reduce the risk of HPV transmission. Condoms aren't 100% effective, of course, because the skin they don't cover can still be exposed.

HPV is one of the most natural things in the world, let me tell you. Virtually all sexually active people have one or more genital HPV infections over their lifetimes - probably 80% or better of us do. Most cases are harmless, silent, and are cleared naturally by the immune system without the person ever being aware. Men rarely have issues with HPV, especially the types associated with the cervix and abnormal Pap tests.

Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing!

Best,
Fredo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:32 pm 

OK - I'm REALLY confused, and I can't find anything on this site, OR the web anywhere. Someone in this post section asked about warts and HSV and the reply was "If you have warts, you have HPV", yet in the same reply they said "HSV is responsible for causing warts". Whats the difference between the two? Does HPV always mean it's genital, or vice versa?

Just TODAY I was diagnosed with HPV so I have been reading everything! I asked the nurse who helped me but she really did not know much about anything (she had to put me on hold for 5 minutes while she looked up info in a textbook she said). So my question is: if I got a + result for HPV (with "abnormal cells", however last year on my test I didn't have abnormal cells, but they did not screen me for HPV as I was only 29), and I have no visible warts, what the heck do I have? I have always had cold sores - would that give me a + result or are they completely different??

PS - I used to laugh at the Gardasil commercials thinking "Well don't be a slut then and you won't get HPV" but I have only had sex with TWO people in my entire life (and only 1 was ever unprotected - my partner now, who I have been with for 3 1/2 years and am sure he has no idea he has HPV!) So if you do one thing today - tell someone you love the facts about HPV, and make them get tested, and make them get gardasil!! I had no idea you could get such a thing without knowing it, and that most people don't know. I can't believe the medical world doesn't/hasn't developed a blood (or other) test for this - it outrages me! The reason so many people have it is because most probably don't know, so they spread it!! It seems crazy to me that there is such a non-chalant attitude toward it "don't worry you can go through life with no symptoms, as do most people" when in fact, it COULD be something that COULD potentially be a killer. It's like smokers who say "millions of people smoke and don't die from it". If I had KNOWN that there was this invisible virus I could get (neither my partner or I have ever had any genital warts), I would be doing everything in my power not to get it!! (As smokers can prevent cancer in themselves by quitting). Does this seem crazy to anyone else that it's so prevalent yet nothing is being done about it, especially for men? (Since they spread it without even being able to get tested & know they have it)??? I realize that not EVERYONE with it gets cancer but prevention is the best medicine and if you know the facts you can at least not put yourself at risk AT ALL. Tell someone you know these facts and maybe they can save themselves at least!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:14 pm 

hello-

just wanted to send you a quick note of encouragement and hope. after reading your post it occured to me that i have similar racing thoughts and questions. this can be so very difficult.

i am trying to stay calm (best as one can faced with such a confusing virus) and read resources that i can find and are available to me. you are right-- confusing, conflicting, and uncertain.

if you have or can find a doctor or dermatologist that can work WITH you in dermining the best treament options for you-- may give a little peace of mind.

after 7 weeks i am still strugling with "what the heck" and an emotionally difficult challenge yet ahead. some perspective that has helped me- and may be helpful to you too--

if i had a virus on my hand, foot, etc- that produced warts and was treatable-- would i be freaked out in the same way? i am doing what i can to get proper treatment, eat a balanced diet, and try to get some exercise.

hope this message of encouragement and empathy is helpful to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:25 am 

Hi there,

Thanks for the response! Luckily I have recently (before I found out about this) found a great doc so hopefully she will be of some help when I go see her next week. I also have a great boyfriend who feels SO guilty (he had no idea he had such a thing) who is very supportive and feels actually worse than I do about it! You're right - i think emotionally something like this is worse than if it were strictly physical, and not knowing what or which one or how or where it came from just sucks!! This board so far is turning out to be very helpful and supportive and has answered some of my questions. So thank you to everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
OK - I'm REALLY confused, and I can't find anything on this site, OR the web anywhere. Someone in this post section asked about warts and HSV and the reply was "If you have warts, you have HPV", yet in the same reply they said "HSV is responsible for causing warts". Whats the difference between the two? Does HPV always mean it's genital, or vice versa?

Hi Sarah,

Yeah, there was some confusion about all that. HSV, or herpes simplex virus, does NOT cause warts. Genital warts result from "low risk" types of HPV, and about 90% of all genital warts are associated with just two HPV types.

So, a diagnosis of genital warts is a presumptive diagnosis of "low risk" HPV which, as the name implies, is rarely dangerous and most often clears naturally over time. There are treatment options available to remove warts.

Even "high risk" HPV types, most often associated with the cervix and abnormal Pap tests, are seldom dangerous and usually clear on their own.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:07 pm 

Yes, it does. Thank you!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]