ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:11 pm 

Dear Fredo,

I wanted to give you an update. I went to the dermatologist today. I have warts on my hands, and one wart on my toe. I am scared that when giving my son a bath and putting lotion on him did I infect him.

I still have not be able to get another HPV test or pap smear because my BV has not cleared.

Is this a sign that my immune system is not strong?

What are the chances of me a 46 year woman clearing the infection?

Any tips of ways that I can boost my immune system?

Any success stories of women my age clearing the infection?

If I developed warts on my hands and the doctor gave me a pap and found out I have HPV, does this means that I will get GW and when will I get them?

Or does this means that I have cervical cancer?

I have so many questions. Also how can I protect my son?

Thank you,

Shegi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Fredo,

I wanted to give you an update. I went to the dermatologist today. I have warts on my hands, and one wart on my toe. I am scared that when giving my son a bath and putting lotion on him did I infect him.

Not likely at all you would give him genital warts due to a wart on your hand.

I still have not be able to get another HPV test or pap smear because my BV has not cleared.

Is this a sign that my immune system is not strong?

The causes of BV aren't all that well understood. Any woman can get BV, but it might be linked in some cases to douching or having a number of sexual partners. Again, though, BV can happen to any woman, including those who have never had sex period!

Have you been treated? Antibiotics like metronidazole or clindamycin are recommended in most cases.

What are the chances of me a 46 year woman clearing the infection?

Any tips of ways that I can boost my immune system?

Any success stories of women my age clearing the infection?

Read the article on HPV and diet at http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5978

If I developed warts on my hands and the doctor gave me a pap and found out I have HPV, does this means that I will get GW and when will I get them?

Not at all. Even if you have the low-risk types linked with warts, few cases result in detectable symptoms.

Or does this means that I have cervical cancer?

Few cases of HPV, even with high-risk types, result in cancer and when this does occur, it's most often in women who have never had a Pap test, or have gone many years without one. Ask your doctor about your specific diagnosis. Cervical cancer is a rare outcome of HPV infection.

I have so many questions. Also how can I protect my son?

I think that's pretty a much common sense approach you take. Not much chance he'd contract HPV from you having a genital infection. If you have warts on your hand, maybe avoid as much as you can letting him have contact with the lesion. Warts on the hand would rarely lead to genital warts, though.

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]