ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:33 pm 

Hello-

I was recently diagnosed with genital HPV from my gyno. I am hoping to gain insight and typical progression of the virus.

After reading as much informaiton as i can on health department, centers for disease, and misc sites was nearly scared out of my wits. It was informative in a clinical and medical documented manner- but really not much reassurance.

Sorry if this is a repeat of some general questions- but wanted to ask just for the sake (if nothing else) to put my fears into words

I have symptoms of burning and redness in my mouth (back of throat, sides of tongue, and inner lip areas. Could this be HPV- since i have been confirmed with HPV in the genital external area?

What are the treatment options for oral HPV? Does it follow the same paths and virus as genital HPV?

What types of signs and symptoms should i be aware of regarding oral HPV?

I asked my gyno these quesitons and of course got the "could be but not really my area of speciality".

I also inquired with the nurse at the local health department clinic- and was told that oral HPV certainly is possible. I completed the basic STD testing they can provide (HIV, gonn, chaly, syph) and all was negative thank goodness (much like the majority of this experience)

Do you have ideas or items to consider what this may be-- if NOT the HPV virus?

I have never had a "cold sore" and think the symptoms would be different that what i have at this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:18 am 
Site Admin

I have symptoms of burning and redness in my mouth (back of throat, sides of tongue, and inner lip areas. Could this be HPV- since i have been confirmed with HPV in the genital external area?

We can't speculate as to what might be causing symptoms, of course, but can say that none of this is characteristic of HPV. Your primary health care provider, or even a dentist, should be able to evaluate that for you easily enough, though.

What are the treatment options for oral HPV? Does it follow the same paths and virus as genital HPV?

I'd almost urge you not to get too deeply into treatment options for oral HPV, at least at this point. In general there are surgical procedures, usually out-patient and not considered major, that can remove oral lesions.

What types of signs and symptoms should i be aware of regarding oral HPV?

Usually warts, much like you'd find elsewhere.

I have never had a "cold sore" and think the symptoms would be different that what i have at this time.

Cold sores are usually (but not always) external bumps or sores, just like what you often see on little kids. Typically on the lips or facial area.

Hope this helps. Post again anytime!

Best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:07 pm 

thank you very much for your response. it provided a little bit of ease and sanity in my crazy racing mind these days of HPV fear.

i do have a dermatologist appointment middle of next week for a second opinion of HPV GW and plan to discuss ideas/options that may be best suited for me.

i do have a couple questions on GW typical course of progressoin. sorry if these are repeats from other people on this site.

for history purposes- i experienced my first wart type growth and TCA removal approximately 6 weeks ago. this area was retreated and the wart was removed within a couple days. however the area continues to have some raised tissue/wart like areas- so 2 additional treatments were completed (the most recent earlier this week) with TCA.

a couple other very small areas of white spots/warts were identified and treated this week too. i am hoping to be on the other side of this virus soon and taking my vitamins, eating well, and trying to reduce stress each day.

any help you could give me on "what to expect" as typical (if there is such a thing with a virus)?

what are the first visible signs of warts/HPV?

what is the typical peiord of week or months that someone can be contagious without signs/symptoms of GW?

is redness or burning in genital areas typical (pre wart)?

does GW typically infect the entire genital area (internal vagina, external areas, and anus?

can one area with GW infect the other areas by basic hygiene care or cleaning?

what are positive signs that my body's immune system is working to eliminate this virus?

what are the most current approaches to treatment that i should ask about with my doctor/dermatologist for GW?

thank you for your time on thes questions.

chica

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]