ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Anal sex post-op
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:49 am 

Hi,

I have a question similar to an earlier post that was left unanswered (http://www.ashastd.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5877)

In November I had internal anal warts removed through excision. I have had a few more removed on a monthly basis using the infrared laser procedure, though fortunately I have not had a recurrence since late Feb.

My partner and I are now considering trying anal sex again. Would this jeopardize the progress I have made in combating inter-anal HPV? Would it raise the chances of having another recurrence?

Also, as the last poster inquired, would receptive anal sex be too harmful at this point?

Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:39 pm 

hello-

i read your post on this board and wanted to reply since has been a couple days.

from what i understand- 6 months without any signs of warts is a positive indicator that HPV is being supressed by your immune system.

your timeframe doesn't appear to meet this "general guideline" yet- while no one can certainly tell you what may be safe or unsafe- may be best to wait and see if you can certainly.

other option is to use a condom, after telling your partner that you had a positive HPV in november for warts. gotta give them the facts and make a informed choice- wish others of us would have had that opportunity.

take care and hope you are on your road to recovery-- if not recovered already!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:33 pm 

i appreciate your response

my partner and i have been together for a year now and have been going through this experience together. transmission is not necessarily the concern at this point (ostensibly he has hpv and does not show symptoms).

we are concerned whether not not receptive anal sex would be harmful after my excision (in nov) and infra-red laser removals of internal warts.
i had also read that internal anal warts usually occur only in situations of receptive anal sex, so my second concern is whether or not this could cause a recurrence.

hope that clarifies things some :p appreciate responses. if anyone has had a similar experience with internal warts and engaged in receptive anal sex afterwards i would be grateful to hear about it

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think there's much worry about reinfection with the same HPV type leading to additional lesions (at least that's the common wisdom), but I don't know about risking any damage to the area that's been treated. I suspect this varies from case to case, depending on the size of the area and extend of treatment, as well as individual healing times. Have you asked your doctor about the advisability of resuming anal sex at this point?

I've sent out a request for an expert in this area to weigh in, and will share any insight I learn.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:32 pm 

Thanks for the response!

I have yet to talk to my doctor about resuming anal sex, as my last visit was my first 'clean' visit since I began treatment. I am planning on asking at my next check up (month from now) should I remain clear of internal warts.
He's not exactly the most accessible for idle anal sex chit chat, so I thought I'd ask around here first.

I do not know the extent of the treatment when the HPV lesions were excised, but since then 4 in total have been removed with infra-red (on 3 different visits).

I have read information saying that anal sex is OK after other more invasive treatments (or at least they sound more invasive). (http://www.analcancerinfo.ucsf.edu/surg ... cover.html)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:24 am 
Site Admin

That site, from the University of California at San Francisco, is an excellent one and I've referred to it a number of times. I saw point #20 on their list was this:

Quote:
If you have anal sex, we also recommend that you wait 2 to 3 months before resuming receptive anal intercourse. It is important to start slowly, because scar tissue does not stretch as well or as quickly as normal skin and is more prone to tear creating a fissure.

Sorry it's not easy to talk with your doc, but don't let his/her demeanor deter you from asking anything at all you can think of. Good for you for being proactive!

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]