ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:17 pm 

hello-

not sure if this is a silly question but need to put it out there for comment if you can please?

if you are with a "new" partner and just determined by your doctor with HPV- GW....

would a treatment such as aldara/etc potentially help to reduce the chance of the other not displaying symptoms or overcoming the virus more quickly??

it seems like after the scare, embarassment, and search for anwers for myself- the other deep concern is to prevent spreading this virus to others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hi chica,

Would a treatment such as aldara/etc potentially help to reduce the chance of the other not displaying symptoms or overcoming the virus more quickly??

Such treatments given to the PARTNER would do no good in preventing them from contracting HPV, no. Having treatment yourself that remove the warts successfully might lower the risk, but this hasn't been proven. While it won't guarantee anything, for couples that are sexually active some combination of removing/treating the warts and using condoms is probably the best approach.

Keep this in mind, though. Virtually ALL sexually active people have one or more HPV infections throughout their lifetimes, and for the vast, vast majority there are never visible symptoms or any health complications.

It seems like after the scare, embarassment, and search for anwers for myself- the other deep concern is to prevent spreading this virus to others.

Sure, makes sense that you feel this way. I hope some of this perspective helps. Please post anytime!

Best always,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:12 pm 

thank you Fredo-

your responses are so helpful in keeping things on a level balance of things

appreciate it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:18 am 
Site Admin

You are most welcome. I only wish I had more to offer!

Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:17 pm 

thank you Fredo-

is just a crazy virus for certain and when you add each person's unique immune system into the mix-- we just do the best we can with what we have i guess.

appreciate the connection as always Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]