ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: 18 with HPV
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:35 pm 

Hi,

I am 18 years old and my gynocologist did an hpv test with my pap test and it came up hpv positive. She then did a colposcopy on me and said that my results show cell changes.

I know HPV is very common in young women. My doctor wants to proceed to do a freezing method but I was wondering since I am still young maybe it would be better to wait and see if it goes away on its own. I know it does most of the time.

Also, since my partner is already infected, would continuing to have unprotected sex worsen the virus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:27 pm 

Hi Shania,

I was diagnosed with HPV in 2005 and well you are not alone . I'm sure you have lots of questions so I hope I can help.

First of all you have the virus so continuing to have unprotected sex will not make it worse. However, please practice safe sex because you put yourself at risk for other STDs.

Second of all, in some cases, the body can usually fight off the virus but if your OB/GYN is noticing some cell changes in your cervix, you may want to consider freezing since cell changes are a precursor to cervical cancer. At 18, you are still young and you can recover fairly quickly. The procedure is pretty quick and you will recover in a few weeks. From there, you would have another pap done and if those result come back normal, then you should be fine. Your doctor make check you more frequently but that's ok. They just want to make sure that you stay as healthy as possible and make sure you have a healthy cervix and uterus in case you decide to have children.

Hope this helps you out and remember you are not alone. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:15 am 
Site Admin

Hello Shania,

Welcome to our boards; we're glad you decided to post.

In many cases, mild cervical cell changes associated with HPV will spontaneously resolve without treatment. For this reason, some health care providers will recommend a woman to return several months later for a repeat Pap smear, taking a "watch and wait" approach. In other cases, treatment is recommended and options to treat cervical lesions depend upon several factors: the degree or severity of the Pap smear or colposcopy and biopsy results, the site of infection, the size of the lesion (which may be visible to the clinician), age and pregnancy status of the woman, and patient and health care provider choices.

Cryotherapy is when the cervix is frozen with liquid nitrogen. Cryotherapy typically involves little discomfort, but there may be a sensation of pressure or cramping in the lower abdomen. This is usually done as an outpatient procedure in the clinician's office, often taking no more than a brief time.

It is not uncommon for there to be a vaginal discharge after treatment, but infection following this therapy is uncommon. It is typically recommended not to place anything in the vagina for several weeks following cryotherapy. A follow-up Pap smear is often done approximately four to six months after the procedure. We encourage you to speak with your health care provider for specific guidance with these issues, as well as to address any other questions that you may have.

Post again anytime you have questions.

All the best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]