ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:01 pm 

I know it's been a while since I've written. So I finally go for my follow up, they tell me everything is mild even the GW. All they gave me was a referral because they don't treat those there. I'm stuck.

I don't have health insurance, which REALLY REALLY makes it difficult in a world where health insurance is pretty much needed. I don't really know where to go to get these treated. They told me that getting them lasered off was an option, and that I needed to find a gyno that dealt with those issues.

I feel like i'm stuck back in square one. I sometimes try not to stress about it, I'm glad that at least it's mild and they said they will check me in about a year to see how it's all going. Pretty much that the immune system, etc well, stuff that we've come to learn now. I'm still dealing with the GW the same way, and they didn't even tell me about the creams or anything or what I could do to treat the ones from around the anus area. All they did was give me a referral. Where do I go from here? Who do I contact? ... so many questions and I'm just exhausted.

I'm still dealing with the throat issues too, don't know what is going on there either. I will have to see soon though, it's concerning me greatly.

Fredo asked me what I am concerned about in the future. Well, even though I know it's not life-threatening, the questions that arise are 1) who's going to want me this way, 2) will i really be able to deal with this, I mean the list goes on. I really try hard to live life as much "normal" as possible, but I can't help but look at ppl and ask myself if they have HPV or GW or... whatever. Its hard to keep a smile on my face when sometimes I just want to cry.

Anyway, good news from this week is that I made a 4.0 this semester, I was happy about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:16 am 
Site Admin

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/hivstd/services/service_l.shtm

Quote:
Anyway, good news from this week is that I made a 4.0 this semester, I was happy about that.

I dated the instructor and still couldn't get a 4.0... :wink: Lovey Irish lass, she was....sigh. Give me a Dublin girl any day.

Uh, alright then, where were we? Oh yes, your post!

Quote:
Who's going to want me this way?

Understandable concern, and one shared by many who are diagnosed with either warts or cervical cell changes related to HPV.

Keep a couple of things in mind: First, you aren't likely to always have genital warts and HPV. Above (and in another post too) I give a link to STI resources in Texas, hopefully one of which can help. There are some options, too, such as the patient assistance program offered by the manufacturer of Aldara cream, if a health care provider thinks that's a good option for you and prescribes it. Also, both the virus and warts can clear on their own.

Another thing is that partners tend to be much more receptive when told about genital warts than you might think. Read more at http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4804
Quote:
I really try hard to live life as much "normal" as possible, but I can't help but look at ppl and ask myself if they have HPV or GW or..

Almost all of them have - or have had - HPV, although most of them never know it. The key difference between you and the rest of humanity is that you actually received a diagnosis! You are very, very normal.

Keep posting!

Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:48 am 

Quote:
I dated the instructor and still couldn't get a 4.0... :wink: Lovey Irish lass, she was....sigh. Give me a Dublin girl any day.

lol I laughed when I saw this, cause I thought it was hilarious. Oh and because I've dated an Irish guy, and the one who wants to date me, even considering MARRYING me (even through all of this), is Irish too. *giggles* What's up with that? :wink: He's a great great support even though I wouldn't think of dating him at this point. I want to take care of myself for now and not consider getting into a relationship while trying to figure out the kinks to this thing. I broke down this past Sunday, and it was such a great support when he hugged me and told me I was very strong and that he was proud of me.

Anyway... where were we? lol

Thank you for the link!! It was very helpful, turns out I found a center that does the whole cryo thing. Hope?? I hope so :?

Quick question what is chemical lesion reduction? Is it the same as getting them lasered off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quick question what is chemical lesion reduction? Is it the same as getting them lasered off?

No, this is where the health care provider applies a topical agent, often something like trichloracetic acid (TCA) to destroy the warts (or lesions, as they are often called).

Quote:
It was such a great support when he hugged me and told me I was very strong and that he was proud of me.

I agree with him, and I'm proud of you, too. :)

Quote:
Oh and because I've dated an Irish guy, and the one who wants to date me, even considering MARRYING me (even through all of this), is Irish too. *giggles* What's up with that?

Yeah, why do we dig the Irish so? Hard for me to resist copper-colored curls and an Irish brogue!

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]