ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: testing question
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:28 pm 

hello fredo-

i have a question about testing for HPV. how can i get properly tested for HPV (ie: High Risk, Low Risk, etc)

i understand that there are many different types of HPV strains. also that some can cause visable surface changes in the genital areas and cervix.

so- how can the presence of HPV be screened, tested, and confirmed?

what type of objective testing should i request from my doctor, to identify the type of HPV virus?

thank you again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:23 am 
Site Admin

Hi Chica!

Glad to see you again, so thanks for posting.

For women over age 30, there are two HPV tests available and either can be done along with a Pap test. These tests are the Digene Hybrid Capture 2 HPV test, and the Hologic Cervista high-risk HPV test. Both are excellent screening tools that can determine if a woman has a high-risk HPV infection of the cervix. Ask your health care provider what they might recommend for you.

Apart from that, screening might involve a close, visual inspection of the genital and perianal areas. This is sometimes done with the aid of a magnification lens or a special microscope. The idea here is to see if any small, hard to detect lesions can be found. This is often done if someone (or perhaps their partner) is diagnosed with genital warts.

I hope this helps. Please post again anytime you have questions.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]