ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:08 pm 

Hello. Just got the call from my gynecologist today that my pap is abnormal and that I've tested positive for HPV. I have been reading tons online about this today. Some of what I've read says that in many cases, the virus can clear up on its own. Has anyone experienced this? Am I wishful thinking? Also, does anyone have any idea how to determine WHEN they contracted this? In the reading, it says you could have gotten it 10 yrs ago, and it's just now showing up. If that's the case, is having it lay dormant for 10 yrs worse than maybe just contracting it 3 weeks ago? Is one better or worse than another? Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:41 pm 

Some of what I've read says that in many cases, the virus can clear up on its own. Has anyone experienced this?

Oh yes. It's very common. I myself have mild dysplasia. Diagnosed a year ago in April. I just had my latest pap (my second follow-up since finding out), and it's starting to look much better! My next pap is in three months. Here's to hoping! :) Course I should add that's my dysplasia. As far as the HPV, I don't know yet where it's at. I figure when I start getting normal paps that I will want them to run another HPV test to see if it's still there. I like to think that I'm fighting it off as I'm healing my cervix. :)

Does anyone have any idea how to determine WHEN they contracted this?
No. There's no real way of being able to tell, unless you're a virgin who's been with one person...or a person that you've been with finds out they have it, and tells you. I have always assumed it was the last guy I was with. However, from my dr and what I've read, it is a big possibility I got it from someone else. There's no way to find out. It is very possible for it to lay dormant for 10yrs or more without signs. I've often read of a person being in a monogomous (forgive my spelling) relationship for YEARS, and then finding out down the road they have HPV (be it an abnormal pap and/or genital warts). It also doesn't mean your better half has been unfaithful, either. They could've contracted it from a previous partner before you or vice-a-versa. A lot of people, men and women, can contract the virus, but never have any symptoms. No warts and/or no abnormal paps. Yet they can still have the virus unknowingly, and pass it along. Until their immune system fights the virus into remission. One of the many, many frustrating things about this virus.

If that's the case, is having it lay dormant for 10 yrs worse than maybe just contracting it 3 weeks ago? Is one better or worse than another?

I don't think it really matters. I've never heard of anyone have any worse complications from having it for years, and now showing signs...as opposed to someone who just contracted it. It all depends on your own body and immune system.

Hope this helps! Goodluck!

Btw, if you haven't already, check out this site's HPV section. It may help you out:

http://www.ashastd.org/hpv/hpv_learn.cfm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]