ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is it possible
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:17 pm 

I recently went for my annual exam. I am not sexually active, but my test results came back with a reading of 18 - which is high risk for HPV? How is it possible that I contracted it and am not sexually active. I have been having an annual since I was 18 and I recently went to a new doctor. Should I get a second opinion?

I'd appreciate any feedback or information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:32 am 
Site Admin

Hello new2this and welcome to our boards.

Not sure if this is correct, but it seems that you are basing the diagnosis on having a positive HPV test, rather than an abnormal Pap test. Pap tests are not a specific means of screening for HPV, but some Pap results indicate (rather strongly) the presence of HPV-related cervical cell changes. HPV tests, on the other hand, are a specific means of checking directly for the virus. These tests are currently (12-2006) approved for use only with women as 1) follow up to unclear Pap results and 2) as primary screening with women over age 30.

It isn't clear when you say you're not sexually active if you mean not active at present, or that you've never had sexual contact period.

If you've ever had sex, even years ago, a recently detected HPV infection could stem from a previous exposure. If you've never had any sexual contact at all, then it is a mystery.

Genital HPV is transmitted through sexual contact: Genital to genital (or anal), and penetration is not necessary to contract the virus (although with cervical infection penetrative intercourse is the most likely means of being exposed).

There are experts who firmly believe that non-sexual transmission of genital HPV types is possible, but this isn't very well documented in terms of just "how" this happens, and it isn't thought to occur very often. It would be very rare for someone with no sexual history at all to have cervical HPV, but it cannot be ruled out and unexplained cases do exist.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need more information.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject: I know how you feel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:22 pm 

Hello new2this,
Well I went in for a pap about 1 month ago and it came out abnormal. I didn't think to much about, I had no reason to be familiar with any of the outcomes of a abnormal pap and thought it was a common thing. Though, I was mistaken. About a 2 weeks after I had a follow-up. I went in and all of a sudden it went from I have some irregular cells to crap I have HPV. I didn't no anything about it other then it was a sexually transmitted virus and now I had it. Well that's great and all other than the fact that I have never been sexually active, ever! If this disease is not air born so I can't sit on a bike and get it from that how is it that I have it? I am still waiting for my biopsy results but it just doesn't add up. I am in the same struggle as you and just waiting for some helpful answers other than that just doesn't make sense. Hell I know it doesn't make sense, I have this sex disease and have never had sex. Great! Well if you have a response or just want to write back feel free.
Olivia

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]