ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Why won't it clear???
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:04 am 

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted anything in a long time, but the depression of living with HPV has remained with me from the day I was diagnosed (2 years ago). I keep reading about HPV in order to keep myself informed, but the more I read the more depressed I get. It seems like there is so much progress in HPV prevention, but no real progress in curing or treating HPV. Also, these new commercials on television about Gardasil send a chill down my spine. They make it sound like having HPV is a death sentence.

I've had HPV for almost 2 years now. I keep reading that it clears within 2 years, but why won't mine? :( I've had a normal pap smear a year ago, and 6 months later it went back to being abnormal. Why is my body not clearing it? I eat well, have decreased my stress level, get plenty of sleep, and do not smoke. I've been doing everything I am supposed to be doing. My immune system seems strong. I haven't even had a cold in probably 5 years. I just don't understand. :(

My next pap smear is scheduled for June 12th, and I am scared to death. I am trying to stay positive, but ever since my pap smear went back from normal to abnormal, it's been difficult to do. I wonder if the fact that I was taking antibiotics at the time of the last pap had anything to do with it.

It's been almost 2 years and not a day goes by without me thinking about this nasty thing in my body. I am so scared it will get worse :(

Thank you for listening to me :)
Google

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:05 am 
Site Admin

Hey there Google,

Thanks for posting. You hang in there, and it sounds like you're going about things in the right way to protect your health. It's still annoying and frustrating, though, and I'm sorry you've been dealing with this so long.

No one's sure why HPV takes longer to clear in some cases than others, and I wish I had a better answer for you. You are on top of things, though, and that's what really counts.

Please post as often as you like and if you have time, maybe stop by our new Chill Lounge to talk about what you're reading, any movies you've seen, or most anything you can think of.

Take care!

Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:14 am 

Hey Google,

I went through the exact same issues with HPV as you are going through. I kept reading that most people clear the virus quickly and i got so fustrated feeling like i was never going to get rid of it.

I think i went 3 years before it cleared, the best thing for me was to be honest with myself and accept it.

It is a non-life threatining very widely spread virus. Some of us have to struggle with it longer than others, but keep positive. I got HPV-GW when i was 18 and now i'm 29, everything will work out for you its just unfortunate that time is such a big factor in change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:23 pm 

Hi google and ert (okay-you too Fredo :))

Google, I too have been dealing with this for a long time. Diagnosed 18 months ago but who knows how long I've really been dealing with it. I hadn't gone for a pap for 5 years prior. I guess I put it low on the priority level because mine always came back normal. Plus, I hadn't ever even heard of HPV. Anyway.
I've had CO2 laser surgery and one normal pap since. Ironically, the only normal pap since surgery was the first one. The one they say will usually come back abnormal.
There is not a day that goes by in my life that I am not thinking about it. It's always in the back of my mind. I'm forever googling new HPV related diseases. I don't bother looking up possible positive therapies. There doesn't seem to be any.
I worry most about not my cervix-as my Dr is on top of that, but, the other "HPV related diseases".
No offense ert but high risk HPV can be a life threatening disease. In fact, if you factor in all the possible cancers linked to high risk HPV-(from my estimate on what the many cancer sites say) translates into roughly thousands if not tens of thousands of deaths per year. Factoring cervical, anal,vaginal,vulva,penile and oral cancers.
It's scary business. Especially for those of us that can't quite shake the high risk type.
I quite literally on a daily basis (sometimes hourly) wait for the other shoe to fall. That being that I am diagnosed with an HPV related disease other than cervical.
I am 41 years old and am convinced I will never hold my grandchildren. I will never see my sons graduate from college. I will not live to see the ripe old age of 45.
Having this virus has changed who I am in every aspect and not for the better.
I will be thinking about you on June 12th google. Sending positive and healing thoughts your way.
I go for my quarterly pap on June 11th.
Please keep us updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:56 pm 

Thank you all for responding ( Fredo, ert7 and lifewasgreat). :). I'm grateful that there is a forum like this where everyone can share their fears and experience.

Lifewasgreat - I know exactly how you feel. I am 27 years old, I don't have any children and I am afraid that I will never be able to have any. I, like you, did not know what HPV was before my own diagnosis. I have always been careful, and only had 2 sexual partners in my life. The first person I was with 4 years, and my current relationship is going on 5. I never thought that this could happen to me. All of my pap smears thus far have been ASC-US (except for one normal one last year). The Dr. has decided to do the "wait and see" method with me. I am just praying to god that my body takes care of it.

I ask that you to keep me in your prayers, I know I will be keeping you in mine :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:39 am 

Hello lifewasgreat,

I'm sorry if my comments diluted the seriousness of this disease, i was just trying to send some positive thoughts. I have read about high risk HPV and their related complications, although rare, it is understandable that these problems exist.

I wish the best for both of you, HPV can weigh very heavy on the mind. Keep positive...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:21 pm 

ert,

Thanks for the positive thoughts. I know you intended well. It's just so hard to be positive or even try to think positively when you have all of this hanging over your head. It's like the black cloud that finds you in the sunshine.

Thanks again-please keep being positive for those of us that can't be :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:09 pm 

Okay I have an update. My Dr. called me 5 minutes ago and told me that my test came back normal. My pap smear is now back to normal and HPV is negative. I am 100% fine :).

I don't know what helped, but maybe it was my diet. Just in case it was my diet, here is what I've been doing. I have been juicing vegetable and fruits for a while now. I've been drinking a lot of cabbage juice (half a cabbage a day). I've also been drinking a high amount of carrot juice. I've also been taking vitamins...Nature's Plus Source of Life Women, and on top of that 2 more pills of folic acid (each at 800mcg). Oh and I drink a lot of green tea!

I hope this helps others. I know that my battle with HPV is not over, and it may come back in the future, so I will continue with the same lifestyle. I don't know what helped me get better... it may be my diet, it may be my prayers (to St. Rita :)), but I know that it's possible now. Don't any of you lose hope.

Love you all and pray that you all get well soon.

I will continue to keep you all updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:27 am 
Site Admin

Hey Google,

Thanks so much for stopping by with the update! Glad to hear things are going well with you. Please stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:01 pm 

Hey Google!

This is GREAT news!
You are now an inspiration to all of us that just can't seem to return to normal paps!
I wish you continued health!
I had my quarterly pap on the 11th. Still awaiting results. Normally when they had come back abnormal, the Drs office would call 8 days after the pap. I haven't gotten that call!

Part of me is optimistic, part of me thinks its a horrible abnormal and the nursing staff wants me to have a good weekend before breaking the news to me! (I'm a pessimist-what can i say??) :oops: :oops:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:38 am 

ert7 wrote:
Hey Google,

I went through the exact same issues with HPV as you are going through. I kept reading that most people clear the virus quickly and i got so fustrated feeling like i was never going to get rid of it.

I think i went 3 years before it cleared, the best thing for me was to be honest with myself and accept it.

It is a non-life threatining very widely spread virus. Some of us have to struggle with it longer than others, but keep positive. I got HPV-GW when i was 18 and now i'm 29, everything will work out for you its just unfortunate that time is such a big factor in change.

I was wondering if you have had outbreaks through the 11 yearssince you have "cleared". Also have you had anyone that you have dated or otherwise break out?

It's been almost 2 years for me and I'm still wondering about when I will be rid of this virus. I am living a very healthy lifestyle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:30 am 

Considering i had a difficult time clearing GW (3-4 years) i was always skeptical of whether or not i actually cleared the HPV virus.

I have had reoccurances during the last 10 years and in my opinion I have not been reinfected with a different strain of HPV although that seems like the most likely explanition.

My girl friend recieved an ASCUS pap after her annual test in January 2009. I got very concerned because i thought if i would have to deal with infecting my partner it would be with low risk GW and not the high risk cell changes.

Here is my question, when it comes to clearing the virus is it the strain of HPV that is persistent or is it the individual immune system? Can one person that had a difficult time clearing the virus infect his partner and her have a much easier time clearing her HPV?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]