ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:09 pm 

hello. I have been reading posts all day. I would like to share my story and see if you have any insight.
I have been having bizarre symptoms since last July. my tongue turned whitish and burns and there is always a tickle in the back of my throat. (they tell me it is not yeast) I have had vag itching and burning, it has been nonstop. nobody seems concerned about my tongue and throat issues, is it that rare to have it in your throat? The gyno did a biopsy on some raised bumps I had on my vagina and it came back negative for HPV. He did a tca anyway as topicals did not make it better. he then did the HPV DNA test and I have high risk hpv but my pap was normal. I had a hysterectomy 7 years ago for endometriosis but kept one ovary. I am 42 and within 5 months have went into menopause. Most of my symptoms have been from menopause, I am guessing, from what I've read, there shouldn't be any symptoms with HPV. I am concerned about if I have it in my mouth/throat and since I don't have a uterus, what about the other genital cancers? I haven't told my husband. I am afraid and just don't know how. I think it will put a strain between us. we have been together for 20 years. this is all very confusing and upsetting. so many questions
if it doesn't clear by itsself, does it take a while for it to turn into cancer? as long as you are getting paps and dental exams, are you ok?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:13 am 
Site Admin

Hi and thanks for posting.

Any type of cancer is a rare outcome of high-risk HPV infection, and HPV-related head & neck cancers, as well as cancers of the vulva and vagina, are especially uncommon. Vulvar cancer is typically diagnosed with a biopsy.

Not sure what is the most likely cause of your symptoms, of course, so keep working with your health care providers. You're right in that HPV usually doesn't have symptoms.

I can imagine how confusing and frustrating all of this must be for you! There's no real risk to your husband, and male partners usually aren't urged to be sent for evaluation simply due to a woman having a positive HPV test. Please keep us posted and come visit anytime you have questions or would like to chat.

Best always,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:58 am 

thanks for your response. I have been reading other posts and am wondering, will the paps eventually turn abnormal, can they stay normal even though I have the high risk HPV? since I've had a hysterectomy, how does a pap work? the ob/gyn requested an HPV test in Feb and the lab did a pap instead and it came back normal. at the next appt. he used a brush to get cells which came back with high risk HPV. I am just not 100% comfortable that the pap was done correctly since that is not the test he requested. the ob/gyn was so uncaring, if he would answer questions I wouldn't have to ask here. thanks for being here.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]