ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:28 pm 

I have been dating my current gf for about 3 months now. Before we had sex for the first time I went to get checked for STDs. Everything came up negative, however i did notic 2 little bumps on the base of my penis. I asked my doctor and he just shrugged it off and said it was just an irration because i recently shaved. So we started to have intercourse, still used a condom even though i tested negative for everything. I really felt like this doctor did not give me the time of day when i asked him about the bumps, so i scheduled an appt with a dermatalogist. So i went yesterday to the derm. and it turns out that these bumps are HPV.He chose to freeze them off and then start Aldara in a week and he seems confident that this will help stop a reoccurence. Anyways, it turns out that I do have HPV and now I have to tell my new gf that I have it and there is a chance she has it as well. I really like this girl alot and I am just real nervous and confused about how to approach it. I really tried to take the right steps to prevents this worst case scenario but bc of a lazy doctor now she might have it and prob will end up hating me. I am only the 3rd person she has ever been with. I obv am going to tell her, but any ideas on how I should go about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:39 am 
Site Admin

Hi confused,

Consider some of these talking points if you decide to discuss this with your partner:

:arrow: Almost all sexually active people have HPV, as many as 75-80%. Unlike other conditions, HPV is a normal part of having sex.

:arrow: There are rarely any health issues, especially with the low-risk HPV types that cause warts. These are NOT the types linked with cervical cancer.

:arrow: Most people have HPV, but the vast majority never see or feel anything.

:arrow: There's no specific tests recommended for partners of someone diagnosed with genital warts. She should have her regular Pap tests, but she should be doing that anyway.

:arrow: The body usually clears an HPV infection in 6-24 months.

If she has any specific questions, please post them here.

Best to you,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]