ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: HPV and Birth
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:10 pm 

Is there anyone out there that has had a child sucessfully with a history of genital warts. I passed warts on to my gf who will be my wife some day and I'm so afraid that my child will have warts. Is there anyone out there with sucess stories of safe deliveries??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:42 pm 

Hi heyhey123.
From what I understand, it's very rare for complications to arise from HPV/genital warts when a woman is pregnant. Here's what this site has down in regards to genital warts and pregnancy:

What about pregnancy and genital warts?

Most pregnant women who have had genital warts previously but no longer do would be unlikely to have any complications or problems during pregnancy or birth.

Most children are born healthy to women with a history of genital warts.

Because of hormone changes in the body during pregnancy, warts can grow in size and number, bleed, or, in extremely rare cases, make delivery harder.

Very rarely, babies exposed to the wart-types of HPV during birth may develop growths in the throat.

This so seldom happens, however, that women with genital warts do not typically need to have a cesarean-section delivery unless warts are blocking the birth canal. It is important that a pregnant woman notify her doctor or clinic if she or her partner(s) has had genital warts. This way they can determine if they need to treat the warts, or not, during the pregnancy.

I got that info here: http://www.ashastd.org/hpv/hpv_learn.cfm
in the genital warts questions & answers section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:05 am 
Site Admin

It's true that warts are seldom a problem regarding pregnancy. Once warts are no longer present, especially if a woman is clear of any detectable HPV lesions for at least 6 months or more, the risk of transmitting HPV to the baby is essentially eliminated. Most medical associations, the CDC, and clinicians agree that a cesarean section is not recommended for women with genital warts unless the warts threaten to obstruct the birth canal or cause excessive bleeding at the time of labor. Research shows that it is quite rare for children to have any HPV related complications later in life. Your partner should discuss any questions about her specific situation with her healthcare provider.

Hope this helps,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]