ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Oral Sex
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:26 am 

I have HPV and I was wondering if I don't have any warts in my mouth, isi t okay for me to perform oral sex on an uninfected girl without transmitting the disease?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:20 am 
Site Admin

Hi dr4k3,

Read a general discussion on HPV and oral sex at http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=212

Quote:
I have HPV and I was wondering if I don't have any warts in my mouth, is it okay for me to perform oral sex on an uninfected girl without transmitting the disease?

HPV is a site-specific skin infection, so HPV located in one's genital skin is not transmitted by giving someone oral sex. It might be possible to contract oral HPV by performing oral sex on a partner with genital virus, but the exact risk is not well understood. The HPV types associated with genital skin don't seem to cause oral symptoms very often that are detected clinically, but it's a good idea not to perform oral sex on a partner while any lesions are present.

Hope this helps,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:44 am 

I recently put a post about oral sex too as i was concerned and read that the mouth is not a good host for the warts etc, however i have had a sore throat and now down in my chest area, anyways I finally looked at my throat yesterday and i have a lot of red raised lumps on the back of my tongue and side of my tongue, so now I am panicking, i know i should go see a doctor to get it checked but i am visisting my boyfriend in Canada for 5 months and dont know where to go etc. So I guess i ought to tell him first. I bottled out (lost the nerve) to tell him last night but will tonight, after all he's the one who infected me if it is oral warts!!

Any ideas what to do before i see a doctor. I already dont smoke or drink, i take multi vits and gym 5 days a week so am fairly healthy. any treatment ideas please.

Will keep you posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Chalkie,

Not sure what is most likely the cause of the red bumps you've noticed. Your description isn't characteristic of HPV, but you're correct in that the only way to tell is to see a healthcare provider.

It might be a good idea not to let anyone have contact with the area until you know what is causing the bumps, just as a precaution.

Wish I could help more.

Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:30 pm 

thanks Fredo, I hope i am worrying for nothing. Goodness so many of us now are worrying over anything that previously wouldnt have bothered us eh, you are so patient and informative.

I will visit a healthcare worker asap and get this checked out. The are little red circular raised about 1mm its probably just a throat infection but now I know my boyfriend has the virus i guess i will continue to worry about everything.

Thanks to you and everyone on the forums for the advice and support. Will keep you posted as to what the lumps are.

Kind regards
p.s what are the characteristics of oral warts ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:51 am 
Site Admin

To be sure, oral warts do occur but this is seen much less often than anal/genital lesions, primarily because the HPV types associated with sexual transmission prefer anogenital skin.

Warts can be flat or raised, rough or smooth, sometimes with a cauliflower appearance. They are often flesh colored but can vary from case to case. Typically they don't cause discomfort.

Hope this helps,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]