ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: possible cure?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:33 pm 

Recently my boyfriend told me he has had genital warts... We're working through it and the more information i find the less I'm freaked out. But I came across this site looking for information... It doesn't claim to clear the infection, just boost your immunity so that your body can cure the infection. Is this possible? Or does it just mean that you wont have visible symptoms anymore?
So even if I have contracted the virus, does it mean I'll always have it, or can the body really clear the infection?

Please let me know what you think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:25 pm 

Hi Amy.
You may want to check out this site's info on HPV (if you haven't):

http://www.ashastd.org/hpv/hpv_learn.cfm

As for clearance of HPV, from what I've read, dr's/medical experts have varying opinions on it. Some will say, after a certain amount of time, if you no longer show signs (whether it be warts and/or dysplasia), then it's safe to say you no longer carry the virus. Then you'll have others who'll state that's not necessarily true. That your immune system can fight the virus off, causing symptoms to disappear, sure. However, that it can still be in your system dormant. That it is possible, for whatever reason (be it due to stress, illness, change in your body, etc.), it can come back. I've heard a lot of people compare it to like a flu virus. Your immune system eventually fights that off, and you will be fine. That doesn't mean, however, that you can't get the flu again. I'm sure I'm not saying that exactly right, so don't quote me on it. :)

I've heard some folks clearing it, not showing signs for YEARS. Then suddenly symptoms pop back up. On the other hand, I have read of people clearing the virus, and never having a single problem again. Since there's still so much they've yet to discover about the virus, it sounds like it's hard to say. Again, my personal opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

Hi AmyAnn,

I hope you'll excuse me for removing the link to the product mentioned in your post. There is no medical cure for HPV, and over-the-counter supplements for genital HPV are largely "buyer beware" territory. We strongly urge anyone who is considering buying a remedy for genital warts that is sold without a prescription to consult with your healthcare provider or pharmacist first.

It's also important to mention (because someone will wonder) that accepted over-the-counter treatments for common warts should not be used on delicate genital skin.

The immune system does seem able in most cases to be able to clear HPV at some point, although this is unpredictable and is hard to prove. Read more on this topic at http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=394.

Hope this helps, and post anytime.

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]