ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours


 

National Cervical Cancer Coalition


Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Freaked Out
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:32 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:27 pm
Posts: 1
I just found out yesterday that I have gential warts. And now, like most of you, I'm scouring the web for information. One thing I was very happy to discover at this website is that the HPV virus can leave the body in a few years. Does this mean that after the virus leaves your body that you are no longer at risk for infecting partners?
My doctor perscribed Aldair to clear up the present warts, and I have another gyno exam next week to check for internal warts and to do a Pap smear. Basically, I need to know how worried I should be here. I don't want to have this thing forever. I feel plauged and disgusting.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:10 pm 

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:37 pm
Posts: 9
from all the extensive reading i have been doing is that in most cases 80 percent in 2 years, it usually clears up with never returning back. just leaving 20 percent in the dark. the problem with this is because of the high percentage of people being able to clear them selfs up not a single lab will invest millions to try to find a cure. the only reason a vaccine came about because of recent findings of the link of cervical cancer and hpv. and now even mouth a lung cancer is being associated with hpv. but if you're a female regularly getting pap smears and always getting the zapped when they appear you basically have zero chance of getting cancer. only draw back is you might get warts here and then. that only if you are the unlucky 20 percent


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:54 pm 

Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:48 pm
Posts: 75
Hi whit123.
Someone just asked a very similar question yesterday. If you haven't already, you can read it over here:

http://www.ashastd.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=638


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:57 am 
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:08 pm
Posts: 2122
Location: North Carolina
Hi Whit,

Let's cover some HPV basics first, for those who are new to the board. The types of HPV that cause genital warts are referred to as "low risk" because there is little or no chance they will lead to any type of cancer. Even the "high risk" types that are linked with cervical (and some other) cancers are seldom dangerous, as lost-for-now mentions, and cervical cancer can almost always be avoided by women having regular Pap tests.

This entire discussion on the "natural history" of HPV is one we sometimes breeze through, but one that should probably be developed more. There is no medical cure for ANY viral infection, including HPV, but as with so many things the immune system is most often able to respond to HPV over time and either suppress or clear the virus. So what does this mean?

Well....we ain't too sure, but here's the thinking. Long term issues with HPV, like warts or cervical cell changes persisting or recurring for a very long time, aren't at all common and when this does happen it may be linked to factors like smoking, stress/lifestyle/nutrition, or an illness that taxes the immune system.

So is one always contagious? No one can prove that one way or another at present, but many (perhaps most) researchers would say that one who has gone a year or two with no recurrences has likely seen their chances of transmitting the virus to a new partner diminish greatly. Can you prove this? No, as there is no data or transmission studies.

Facts partners should understand include:

:arrow: HPV is common and most sexually active people have one or more HPV infections over their lifetime.

:arrow: It could take weeks, months, or potentially years after exposure before a diagnosis is made, so HPV within an established relationship does not automatically equate to anyone being unfaithful.

:arrow: The virus is usually harmless and cleared/suppressed by natural immunity without visible symptoms appearing.

:arrow: A key message is for most all women to continue having Pap tests as directed.

Hope this helps,
Fredo

_________________
ASHA Moderator


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group