ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Transmission Question
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:25 am 

Hi, and thank you for having this resource available! This is my situation. I was diagnosed with high risk hpv and carcinoma in situ a few months ago and underwent cryosurgery. I've never had any type of genital warts or hpv symptoms.......but unfortunately the lack of health insurance kept me from my annual pap tests for several years. I now realize the importance of annual exams.....with or without health insurance! I'll be back to my doctor next month for a follow-up.
Anyway, I was having dinner with a friend and we discussed this topic. She had a glass of wine and commented on the dryness of it, so I asked if she minded that I taste it. She obliged and I took a quick sip from her glass. She had a small cut in her mouth from biting her lip, and now that she has thought about our discussion, she is EXTREMELY fearful that I could have passed this virus to her by sipping off her glass. She said she saw her doctor who told her that there is a possiblity for this to happen..... that even if we didn't drink off the same side of the glass, my saliva could have entered the glass which could transmit the virus to her open cut. Is that really possible? In talking to my doctor, and with all of the research I have done on hpv transmission, I can't find anything that indicates hpv can be transferred in this way, and she is very angry at me for putting her at risk for this virus to invade her life and her family. I would feel completely awful if I put her at any type of risk this way. I also have children that I kiss daily, and we drink off each others glasses all the time.......is there a risk that I could transfer this virus to them as well? I'm now fearful myself! She has also stated that she wants me to be examined by her doctor so she can get some kind of peace of mind. Is this really necessary? What kind of peace of mind would be gained by this? I'm more than willing to do it if it would help.
Please advise, as this has put a heavy black cloud over our Christmas Holiday.
Thank You!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Hello Sharon and welcome to our message boards.

There is information on HPV transmission at http://www.ashastd.org/hpv/hpv_learn_dysplasia.cfm#2.

Genital HPV is transmitted through direct skin to skin contact (genital to genital or genital to anal), and we are not aware there are any known risks of genital HPV infection being given to someone through saliva, or shared food and drink. There is no need for worry because you took a sip from your friend's glass.

With very few exceptions all women need regular screening for cervical cancer (such as Pap tests), and your friend's need for cervical cancer screening need not alter based on a shared drinking glass.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]