ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:12 pm 

Im a 21 year old male and I've just found out my girlfriend/sexual partner might have HPV and is going for the proper tests in a few days. We see each other very rarely, as she lives in america.

I've become concerned as I am seeing what could be some earlier signs of HPV on my penis.
I had a Wart on my finger when i was in my teens, but removed it with sandpaper and jack daniels whiskey, as my doctor wasnt really concerned about it. So im curious to whether it could have transfered from the finger.

Im going to wait before her results come back first, before i start to panic. Then I'll set a date for my test either way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:21 pm 

I am not a Doctor or anything but through what I have gotten from research and through my doctor is that cervical HPV can not be transferred from a wart on your finger, it is simply a different stain of HPV. Cervical HPV can be transferred through foreplay, it does not necessarily have to be intercourse. I hope I have helped you in some way.
Olivia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:56 pm 

Thanks for that, thats what I thought too. I've problably contracted it from someone then. :-/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:32 am 

All warts are caused by HPV. Some effect other areas of the body, but they are not the same type that will cause warts on your genitals. Plus, like fourmore123 stated, if you have a wart on your hand, touch yourself (or a partner) down there, you will not get genital warts from that.

If you haven't read it over already, this site's HPV info is informative:

http://www.ashastd.org/hpv/hpv_learn.cfm

Also, it's always possible that you got HPV from your current partner. She could have been a carrier without symptoms until now. Many people have the virus without symptoms. Which makes them unaware, and they pass it along to their partners. Unless you had seen warts prior to meeting/being with her in any sexual way. Not saying she did, but it is a possibility. Then again, as you stated, you may have contracted it yourself from a prior experience. One of the many sucky things about this virus is it's hard to pinpoint and catch.

Fingers crossed for your partner. Goodluck to you as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:10 am 
Site Admin

Keep in mind, too, that the symptoms you've noticed may not be related to HPV and that the HPV types most often associated with the cervix and abnormal Pap tests are generally not the same that cause external genital warts. Read more on this at http://www.ashastd.org/learn/learn_hpv_facts.cfm.

We suggest you let your healthcare provider take a look at your symptoms, as they can often sort this out with a visual inspection.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]