ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:35 pm 

I recently went to get a pap smear and it came up irregular. I didn't think much of this at first, I thought this was completely normal, apparently I was mistaken. All the doctors told me it was HPV, although this didn't add up because I had not been sexually active. I went for further testing and they didn't tell me much other than what they had originally said, that I had mild dysplacia and that basically meant that I had HPV and I would need a follow-up pap in 6 months. But do keep in mind that the doctors were under the impression that I was not a virgin, simply for insurance reasons. So I thought I had HPV but, recently I was talking to my doctor and he said that he couldn't say for sure that I had HPV, because they had not test for the strain of HPV but the biopsy came up as mild dysplacia and since I had had sex that basically meant I had HPV. So what could Irregular cells or mild dysplacia mean if I have never been sexually active? Please, I am desperate, give me an answer or a possibility. Thank you for listing to my long story. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:48 am 

So they didn't run an HPV test along with the abnormal pap to see for sure if it was HPV. I know when you're over a certain age, 30 or 35, and it comes up an abnormal pap, they can run an HPV test. Problem is, not all dr's do this. From what I've read, there are some healthcare providers who just automatically assume HPV just from the pap alone. I guess because that's usually what's causing it. However, from what I have heard, anything can cause cervical dysplasia. That's what my NP at my OBGYN's office said to me recently (as for what, I don't recall). That's how they discovered it was HPV that was causing my mild dysplasia. I ended up showing I had high-risk HPV (assuming I don't have low-risk, but not sure).

This is just my opinion...I'd go back and ask to have an HPV test ran just to be sure. There is a low and high risk panel. See if you can have both ran. From what I've read, sometimes "low-risk" can cause abnormal paps as well. Tell them you want to be 100% sure you have HPV. That it's not just something else. That way, if you do have it, then at least you know for sure. Not just some second guess (going by how it sounds). They could be right, but if it were me, I'd want to be sure. I was diagnosed about a year ago. I finally got to the point I wanted to be sure just last month. That's how I found out that they did indeed run a test, and was positive it was HPV. Why I wasn't made aware of this befoe, I dunno. Especially when I brought it up a couple times (mainly to a nurse).

Now I'm a little confused. Are you saying you're a virgin? You can come in contact with HPV without penetration. It's contracted via skin to skin contact. Not fluids. That's why condoms don't offer 100% protection from it. It helps, but it doesn't cover all the genital areas. Even if you just rubbed genitals, you still run a chance of getting HPV. I have heard some say that if you touch your partner's genitals with your hands, then immediately touch yours (without washing them first). Same goes with sex toys if they're shared without cleaning them properly first. As for what the risk of the last two are, I really don't know how high it is. As for oral sex, you can look back at some recent discussions on that matter. Again I hear that's not very common either.

I suggest reading this site's section on cervical dysplasia and HPV:

http://www.ashastd.org/hpv/hpv_learn_dysplasia.cfm

As you can see on the left hand side, there's other topics of interest regarding HPV you can check out if you like, too. Also, Fredo will be back on Monday, so I'm sure he can help with any questions you have the best he can.

Goodluck and let us know how it goes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:22 am 
Site Admin

Hi fourmore,

Rogue gave you a very through reply (thanks!) over the weekend. Cervical dysplasia, especially in younger women, refers to cervical cell changes that are suggestive of HPV but it's correct that Pap tests are not specific HPV tests.

Women can have abnormal cervical cells detected for a number of reasons (sometimes changes in the body as a natural part of ageing). You might want to let your healthcare provider know you've never been sexually active and see what they say or recommend for you.

All the best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]