ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:49 pm 

Well I have read alot and alot more, but sometimes seems the more you read the more questions you have.

Okay, so I have been dealing with GW for about 3 months now. Have had several cryo treatments, am eating/living healthy, taking vitamins, and trying to get rid of these warts and begin the "clearing" process. Might take a while longer, but am going to the doc almost weekly and he is being very aggressive with the cryo treatments.

Hopefully the ones I have will go away soon, and my healthy habits and immune system will keep new ones from coming back.

Meantime, I have just started a new relationship with a woman. Am going VERY slow and am in no hurry to begin a sexual relationship. Don't want to even think about sex at this point, especially given that I still have a few GW hanging around.

A couple key questions...

1) Assuming the GW I have get lost in the next month or two, how long before I should feel confortable having sexual intimacy again?

2) Let's assume she has already been exposed to strain 6 or 11, and either had warts at one time that she knew of, or perhaps had and DIDN'T know about, or was exposed to and never had warts. If any of those conditions applied, can I assume that she would then be unlikely to get new warts from me, since she has created an immunity to the virus? Have not seen to much info on this subject - would appreciate comments - thanks.

P.S. I plan, some time in the future, to TELL HER about my situation, BEFORE we would become intimate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:27 am 

Depending on the age of this woman - be sure to ask if she got the hpv vaccine or is interested in getting it. It's currently approved for females between the ages of 9-26. It would help to protect her from your hpv infection. If she is older than 26 she can look into clinical trials to see if any are being offered or she could pay for it out of pocket ( ~ $350 for all 3 shots ).

When the two of you do start thinking of being intimate - a recent study showed that condoms worked best to reduce hpv transmission when applied when the clothes came off - not waiting until actual penetration to be applied.

betsy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:39 pm 

Me too wrote:
P.S. I plan, some time in the future, to TELL HER about my situation, BEFORE we would become intimate.

Thats the most sensible plan.

As for when you feel comfortable with sexual intimacy. Im not sure. I think even if you've got no signs of GW, you can still be contagious. I think the real question would be when she understands your situation, when will both of you feel comfortable having sexual intimacy.

Hope i've helped in some way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:38 am 
Site Admin

http://www.ashastd.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=394

Excellent advice from Betsy and Brit, thank you both.

The link above goes to the discussion on the "Is HPV always something a new partner can contract?" question. No one really gets a 100% answer on that one, but the evidence suggests the virus is not likely to always remain active. It's frustrating in that there is no test to say if one is able to transmit the virus at a given point, though.

There is no practical way to determine which exact type of HPV one may have had, such as HPV 6 or HPV 11, and even DNA tests are limited in this regard in that one with a past diagnosis of HPV may no longer have the virus present, or at least it may be so well suppressed that it's not detectable.

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]