ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: no symtoms-need info
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:31 pm 

lots of questions....
so i just found out i have hpv. i am married and i understand that it could have been from years ago. my doctor said i shouldnt worry about it for another 2 years(hoping it will clear on its own i assume) i have no symptoms.should i worry about warts? what does this mean until then? is there anything i can do to help get rid of it? and what if i get pregnant, what effects would this have on my baby considering i have no symptoms?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hi RPM,

Should i worry about warts?

Most cases of HPV don't result in visible symptoms, and you might not even have the types of HPV that can cause warts. When warts do develop they are often small and can go away on their own.

Is there anything i can do to help get rid of it?

Nothing has been proven to help, but common sense things like eating a healthy diet, getting enough sleep, moderate exercise, and so on. Not smoking is important with HPV, and some studies even suggest that exposure to second-hand smoke might make HPV clearance a bit more difficult.

What if i get pregnant, what effects would this have on my baby considering i have no symptoms?

Whether or not a woman has symptoms, the risks to the baby are very, very slight. C-sections are rarely indicated with HPV.

I hope this helps. Post anytime!

Fredo

Last edited by Fredo on Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:43 pm 

so ive done a little research, and from i understand, there are 2 types of hpv. one causes warts and one can cause cancer...correct? but theres like 40 types... wat do the other ones do? and is there any advantage, other than for my own knowledge in finding out which type i have?
my doctor insists that it will clear on its own within 2years.... i still feel skeptical.

RPM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:34 am 
Site Admin

There are over 100 types of HPV, most of which are not sexually transmitted and can cause, for example, common warts of the hands and feet.

There are approximately 30 types of HPV that are linked with sexual transmission: "Low risk" types can cause genital warts, whereas "high risk" types are associated with cervical cell changes that, if undetected, can increase a woman's risk for cervical cancer.

Most sexually active people (80% or so!) will have one or more sexually transmitted HPV infections in their lifetimes, but the majority are never diagnosed. HPV is usually harmless, even with "high risk" types, but it's important for women to have regular Pap tests. Knowing the exact type of HPV usually isn't important, but in some cases it might be helpful. The crucial thing is going for your follow-up Paps as recommended.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:34 pm 

wtf....soooo the ones that would show up on a pap would be the sexually transmitted one? i mean u wouldn't have a wart on your finger and it show as hpv on a pap, right?
could u post a good link were i could find out more information. possibly about different types?

RPM

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]