ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Conflicting information
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:41 am 

Hi Fredo!

I had a pap last week and asked a couple of questions about this whole high/low risk transmissions that made no sense to me.

Upon my initial visit with my Gyn/Oncologist, he referenced the different HPV types as playgrounds.

Example: High risk HPV infections love warm, moist and dark places. Hence "playing" in the cervix, vaginal walls, anus..etc.

All I ever hear or read is that HPV (both high and low risks) are skin to skin contact. It has never made sense to me.

How is it that high risk HPV thrives on mens penises? It's definitely not moist, warm or dark. Yet it prefers that type of atmosphere in women?

I posed this question to my Oncologist.

His answer was that men with high risk HPV infections pass it on to a woman through SEMINAL FLUID!

This is so contradictory of everything I have ever read.

What gives? Am I trusting my treatment with a Dr who is so out of the transmission of HPV loop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:14 am 
Site Admin

Hi LWG,

HPV can be found in sexual fluids like semen, but I don't know that has conclusively been linked to transmission or, if it has, if the risk is great. I think we can still refer to the basis of HPV transmission as skin-to-skin contact much as we've always described it.

It is true that high-risk HPV types - in terms of causing cell changes that need to be monitored or treated - tend to "do their thing" more readily in the cervix and anus, but simply harboring the infection (having the virus itself without any cell changes being detected) can occur in most any of the anogenital skin, which is why men end up with it on their willies in the first place (and can thus give it to sex partners).

I hope this helps. I'll post more if I come across anything of interest.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:14 am 

Thanks Fredo! It does help for me to read that from you.

I trust two sources for all my HPV info needs.

1) Gyn/Onc

2) You

I didn't mean to imply that all (or even most) are due to seminal fluid transmission.

It just makes a little more sense to me.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou...again! :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]