ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Transmission
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:22 pm 

It's back again. I'm 29 and have a case of these suckers that won't go away. The GYN told me that any further testing (biopsy) isn't necessary because they have "seen so many cases, they don't need to test them". (She also told me to use Aldera because she didn't feel like burning off so many of them... WTF?) I've been trying to find some real answers out there about transmission so I can at least be responsible in the mean time until I feel comfortable and bump free.

Some resources are saying HPV-GW can be spread via clothing, sharing towels and toilet seats. Truth? Also, I've been reading some excellent conversations in here and I already feel better about things. Thanks everyone. Why do I feel downright stupid about this whole thing? Anyways, also, can we please clarify skin-to-skin, just to ask an apparently silly question. My GYN said that transmission had to take place "mucosa to mucosa". Great! What? Can you help me? Who are these people?

Also... why is it that since my first lovely experience (and only other) in college, I have told every partner about my infection (lovely way to put it...) and NO ONE has said anything to me! It's been almost 10 years since my last episode so my gut tells me this one is a different one. How is this fair?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:59 am 
Site Admin

Some resources are saying HPV-GW can be spread via clothing, sharing towels and toilet seats. Truth?

Little if any risk here, and nothing like this has been documented or proven. It's probably a good idea not to use a towel just after someone's been rubbing it directly on genital warts, as a precaution, but don't lose any sleep over this. Don't worry about the sheets, the shower, the toilet, etc.

Also, I've been reading some excellent conversations in here and I already feel better about things. Thanks everyone. Why do I feel downright stupid about this whole thing?

That's a common and unfortunate reaction many people have. We add a layer of stigma to anything related to sex or reproduction, and the culture in which most of us are reared doesn't do much to help with that! You've done nothing wrong, and the only difference between you and virtually everyone else is that you actually have a diagnosis.

Anyways, also, can we please clarify skin-to-skin, just to ask an apparently silly question. My GYN said that transmission had to take place "mucosa to mucosa". Great! What? Can you help me? Who are these people?

Genital-to-genital or genital-to-anal contact, touching, rubbing, intercourse. Mucosa is most susceptible, but even the perianal area (between the genitals and anus) can have little microtrauma in the skin (little tiny nicks, cuts, and so on) that give the virus entry.

Also... why is it that since my first lovely experience (and only other) in college, I have told every partner about my infection (lovely way to put it...) and NO ONE has said anything to me! It's been almost 10 years since my last episode so my gut tells me this one is a different one. How is this fair?

While not impossible, it would be uncommon for an infection 10 years ago to cause warts now. For this to be an entirely different deal wouldn't be uncommon, but you'll never know for sure. It seems a bit unfair to expect you to discuss a decade-old HPV infection, but sometimes it just makes you feel better to do so!

Hope this helps. I kinda like you. Post again if you want.

Fredo

Post subject: Beating a dead horse.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:30 pm 

Thanks, Fredo. You don't have to answer this, but do you deal with this crummy disease too? Or are you exclusively a support network for the rest of the world desperate for a chance to share? Either way, thanks. Where do you get your info?

So, I can be a little thick about these things... the virus, as seems from your answer, has to be passed from infected cells into the blood stream (microtears, nics, lesions etc.) And this would signify the virus can get in anywhere there is a skin opening? So oral/hand sexual fun activities can put the other person at risk if there is any opening anywhere?

Can it be passed from blood to blood? Example, if I gave blood, would the recipient be at risk? Like other viruses, this one stays dormant and isn't really looked at as risk in doning, however, if a breakout is obvious, and the body is obviously dealing this thing head on, is blood doning and blood sisters a bad idea? You can donate if you've had mono, but not HIV. What's the status of HPV?

It sounds like this virus is like every other virus I know of, but I have been poorly skewed from lots and lots of crappy info. Yes? When we talk about the virus "getting in", there isn't a magic boring tool HPV has to get into the body as long as skin is intact, right? Oh please? Pretty please?

I plan on doing education for the people in my life and anyone else that will listen, but I would really like to be able to give them quality information. Even if it means beating a dead horse. :) Still "kind of" like me? Lol. Thanks Fredo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Fredo. You don't have to answer this, but do you deal with this crummy disease too? Or are you exclusively a support network for the rest of the world desperate for a chance to share? Either way, thanks. Where do you get your info?

That's a fair question. We have to keep our focus on our site users, and as such are not allowed to talk about ourselves. This keeps us from turning this into a self-support forum!

So, I can be a little thick about these things... the virus, as seems from your answer, has to be passed from infected cells into the blood stream (microtears, nics, lesions etc.) And this would signify the virus can get in anywhere there is a skin opening? So oral/hand sexual fun activities can put the other person at risk if there is any opening anywhere?

The virus isn't blood-borne. Each HPV type tends to infect specific skin areas, so it would be unusual for the types associated with sexual transmission to become established, say, on the hands or fingers. I mean, it's probably just a good precaution not to directly touch any wart if it can be avoided, but genital-to-hand transmission shouldn't be a problem.

Oral sex seems to be a greater risk, but probably not in the same sense that genital-to-genital contact is. The exact risk of oral sex and HPV isn't known, and a common sense approach of not performing oral on a partner with active lesions is probably a good idea. Still, don't worry too much if this has already happened.

Can it be passed from blood to blood? Example, if I gave blood, would the recipient be at risk? Like other viruses, this one stays dormant and isn't really looked at as risk in doning, however, if a breakout is obvious, and the body is obviously dealing this thing head on, is blood doning and blood sisters a bad idea? You can donate if you've had mono, but not HIV. What's the status of HPV?

HPV is transmitted via skin to skin contact, not blood exposure. I've never heard of any blood donation restrictions simply due to an HPV infection. Someone with cervical cancer (or any other cancer, really) might be discouraged from donating, but that's not because of HPV.

It sounds like this virus is like every other virus I know of, but I have been poorly skewed from lots and lots of crappy info. Yes? When we talk about the virus "getting in", there isn't a magic boring tool HPV has to get into the body as long as skin is intact, right? Oh please? Pretty please?

LOL No, there's no "magic boring tool."

I plan on doing education for the people in my life and anyone else that will listen, but I would really like to be able to give them quality information. Even if it means beating a dead horse. Smile Still "kind of" like me? Lol. Thanks Fredo.

You're welcome!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]