ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:41 pm 

Hi,

Great forum...lots of good info...

I am a male in my 20's who had an unprotected sexual experience (oral/anal) with a girl that has had a couple instances of cervical cancer. We were only close once and I did not know her cervical cancer history prior to the experience.

Couple related questions:

1. What are the chances that I have HPV? I know there is not a definitive answer on how likely transmission is, but would the experts put this at a 20% chance, 50% chance, or more like 95% chance? (I have no symptoms and am clear of any testable STDs)

2. Am friends with this girl and got some info on her cervical cancer history... She asserts that her cancer was not triggered by any STD, but was genetic-only, that her granfather died of cancer, she was found to have the same blood/tissue type, and that she had gotten sick in the past and something was found related to the Rh factor in her blood that matched her grandfather, etc, etc.

I'm not a doctor so I'm unsure what this means, but I did read somewhere that "HPV causes 93% of all cervical cancers". Does this suggest that her assertion could be true and that I was not exposed to a high-risk HPV? (what is the other 7% cause of the cancer?) I can't really find definitive info on whether HPV is a REQUIREMENT for cervical cancer to develop, or whether someone plagued with health problems/bad-genes could develop the cancer without having high-risk HPV? (no doubt she has a host of health problems)

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for the reply... :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:55 pm 

Just re-read my post above, and I should probably clarify that relative to my second question, the girl told me that she has been checked for HPV and no HPV was found. (after all, that is part of the yearly examination)

I suppose I'm looking for a bit of validation that she could indeed be clear of the HPV (which of course would mean that I was never exposed to it from her). I do not question her sincerity...but I guess I'm just a little confused, probably since pretty much everything I read about cervical cancer mentioned the HPV being the trigger...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hi JM,

There's really no way to gauge what your risk, if any, might be with this partner. This is true for a couple of reasons:

* You don't know if a past HPV infection is still active and able to be transmitted (most HPV infections clear naturally).
*Just because she may have had cervical/vaginal HPV does not mean she also had oral and/or anal virus and, if she did, those infections may have cleared.

High-risk HPV types are a causative factor in cervical cancer, as these types are found in over 99% of cervical cancer tumors. Other "co-factors" are a part of cervical cancer development, though, and this might include genetics and the like. HPV is still necessary. Keep in mind that most women with high-risk virus will clear it, and those who once tested positive virtually always eventually test negative.

I hope this helps. Remember, too, that virtually all sexually active people have one or more HPV infections in their lives.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:50 pm 

Thanks for the reply, Fredo. Couple follow-up questions about my possible exposure to cervical/vaginal high-risk HPV:

* If this girl (with a history of cervical cancer) recently got screened for HPV and the test came back negative (meaning any high-risk HPV as "cleared"), does this mean that she had nothing to transmit to me? (basically I'm asking whether a "cleared" HPV can still be transmitted...is it really gone, or just in remission where it is still potentially transmittable?) Perhaps a "cleared" HPV has negligible risk of transmission.

* In your reply, you made a distinction between vaginal/oral/anal HPV. Can you get the cervical/vaginal high-risk HPV from oral/anal sex, or just from vaginal sex?

* So worse-case scenario, I acquired the high-risk (cervical/vaginal) HPV. As a younger guy with a healthy immune system, how long does it typically take to clear the HPV? Also, does my likelihood of transmitting it diminish over time (as it is being cleared)?

Thanks again for replying to my posts -- I do realize that HPV is not the end of the world, but it sure sucks not knowing if you are a carrier. As a guy, I don't worry for myself as much as I worry about transmitting it to a potential partner. Obviously no guy wants to be responsible for causing "abnormal cell growth" in a partner... If this is something that typically clears in a matter of months, then perhaps I will just obstain from contact to minimize my chances of passing it on...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]