ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:28 am 

Can I still carry the HPV virus if I don't have a Cervix? My doctor says no but that does not seem right if men can carry and spread the virus and THEY do not have a Cervix!

I would assume I can still get genital warts...but what about the other forms of HPV?

Can I still be a carrier and spread the virus to others? (Again not really speaking of Genital Warts...those I would assume I can still get and spread) and if so how would I be tested? Is there a blood test? Or is it a pap test only....I am very confused. Please advise.

Last edited by crystal1963 on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:16 pm 

Hi Crystal!

I think Fredo should answer this with informative statistics.
I'm sure it's not common for HPV to cause problems in areas other than the cervix.

I can only say that my oncologist uses a hysterectomy as the very last resort for many reason that he's explained.

When I first found out I had HPV, I wanted everything removed. Thank goodness I was referred to an oncologist instead of having my regular GYN follow my wishes.

My oncologist explained that as uncommon as it is, its not impossible for the HPV to travel so to speak from area to area. Like, if the cervix was completely removed and I still had or got another HPV infection, it could (as long of a shot as it may seem) decide to affect an area still there...ie vaginal wall, vulva etc).

His rule of thumb is 3 invasive procedures. If that doesn't take care of it, then he opts for a radical hyster. He told me in the 30+ yrs that he's been a Dr. this has only been the case less than 10 times.

I do know that after my procedure (CO2 laser vaporization) my pap came back abnormal. The cervix was healthy but the infection was now detected on my vaginal wall. The Dr saw that spot and treated it with acid I believe.
Since then, all my colposcopy exams look great. My paps are still coming back abnormal but only slightly. The level above normal.
I know that for many women, hysterectomy is successful at finally getting rid of the virus though.

I hope this is your case!! :)

Post subject: HPV after a Hysterectomy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:04 am 

Hi and thank you for your response. I did not have HPV at the time of my Hysterectomy...I had GW many, many years ago and after years of getting them burnt off I have been GW free for 15 years.

Again I am not speaking of GW...I assume I can still get those, I am more questioning the HPV viruses that have no symptoms, the ones that can cause cancer.

My question is now that I have no cervix do I still need to worry about getting HPV? For instance if I was to get involved with a man who has it, can I still contract the virus from him? CAN I STILL BE A CARRIER AND SPREAD IT TO SOMEONE ELSE?

So yes if Fredo is available to look at my question and respond that would be greatly appreciated and again, thank you for your response as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hi all,

LWG, thanks for your good comments! Excellent information.

Crystal, I'll just say ditto in that a women who has had a hysterectomy can still have HPV in other anogenital skin areas that are normally susceptible to HPV infections: the vagina, vulva, perianal area, and anus. Compared to the cervix, precancerous cell changes are probably detected less often in these areas. To be sure, CANCER in these areas is very, very rare indeed.

As you mentioned, too, the HPV types associated with warts can also be found in these areas.

Does that answer your questions?

Fredo

Post subject: So....
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:00 am 

What I am getting from this is YES I can still carry the virus and still spread it to others even if I don't have a cervix.

That was what I needed to know.

Thank you for your response.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]