ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:25 am 

Hi. I'm 23 and about 7 months ago I developed GW. I had no idea what they were at the time, but in a matter of a few weeks I had a raging infestation. I have no idea who they may have come from as I had a long-term relationship of four years, but after that I had two other partners prior to my current boyfriend of nearly a year.
My current boyfriend, after seeing that I had them everywhere told me that he had bumps prior (for seeming years) on his penis and the genital area around his penis once in a while (still re-occurring) but I told him not to worry as it may not have been warts and I did not want him to freak out (he's deathly afraid of penile cancer.)
Some further background information: I have had Grave's disease (autoimmune hyperthyroidism) for four years now and have recently been diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis as well (hypothyroidism.) I find it odd that I have both conditions at once, but not so out there as my fraternal twin sister has had Hashimoto's for 6 years and my mother has "hot spots" on her thyroid.
I am aware that any autoimmune disease can affect the ability and resilience of your immune system.
However, I'm in need of some answers I suppose. I've become horribly depressed because of this and I'm not really living my life as a result of how painful the treatments are.
So:
Because my immune system may be compromised, would that cause such an infestation? I had them all over my labia majora in thick swathes down the lips which were treated with electrocautery (once) and cryosurgery (in about 8 treatments over significant areas.) I've also recently developed them on my labia minora, around my anal area, in my vagina and even outside of my labia (which I've just started treating with Aldara after what was hopefully my last cryo visit on Wed.)
And.
My Dr. was going to give me an acid to put on them (?) but switched to Aldara, I suppose, after reviewing my history with autoimmune disease. But I read that Aldara is not good for patients with thyroiditis. What should I expect in terms of this? He did not seem concerned, nor did my pharmacist.
Is there any literature on individuals with autoimmune disease and GW or HPV in general?
I wish I knew that I could clear the virus, but given it's swift progression in comparison to what others have written, I am extremely worried.
Thanks for you time :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

Hi there,

HPV infections can cause very different things from case to case: some are diagnosed with only a few small warts, while others have multiple lesions that cover a wide area. It's very unpredictable and researchers aren't entirely certain why HPV affects people so differently.

I'm not aware of information on how the specific conditions you mention might impact HPV, but of course the strength of the immune system, and it's ability to respond to the infection, is one key component that determines the course the virus might take in an individual.

We also have no info on Aldara use with patients who have thyroid conditions, so you'll have to rely on your doctor/pharmacist for information there. You can also call the company that makes Aldara at 1-800-328-0255 (they have a patient assistance program and a coupon offer, too.)

As for your partner, keep in mind that the types of HPV that cause warts are not the same as those that can cause penile/cervical cancer. Even with the high-risk types, cancer is a rare outcome (penile cancer especially).

I hope this helps. Please post again if you have more questions.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]