ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:10 am 

Hi! I'm new here! But, I've been lurking for awhile and must say this board has given me some great information to help me deal with HPV.

Anyway...here is my situation/questions...

I had my first abnormal pap in December (2008) with a follow-up colposcopy. The results came back as low grade dysplasia (or something)because the Dr. decided to take a wait and see approach with a follow-up pap in 6 months.

Well, I just had my follow-up pap and got a call yesterday saying that "high-grade lesions" were found. The nurse or whoever I talked to could not clarify and needless to say I'm kind of freaking out. I have a colposcopy scheduled for July 21st.

I'm going to try to get ahold of my doctor, but I thought I would see what you guys thought. My questions are...What does "high grade lesions" mean? I thought there were different categories like CIN 1,2,3...etc. So does a pap just determine high or low grade? My next question is...how far could this have advanced in 6 months? I mean I know I can't get a definite answer, but what are the chances of it being really serious?

Should I just assume that I will need a LEEP? Why wouldn't they just do that instead of doing another colposcopy?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks for reading!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Hi chloe,

Pap tests are often classified with language such as "high or low grade lesion," and colposcopy/biopsy results are typically where you hear CIN 1, 2, and 3. "High-grade" lesion correlates more or less with CIN 2 or 3.

They probably want to do another colpo to get a good look at things and, if treatment is needed, it's virtually always successful in removing the affected tissue. There is seldom any cancer found here and when it is, it's rarely invasive or dangerous.

Please let us know how you're doing and what you find out.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]