ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:25 am 

I have HPV. I have 2 daughters and a son. One girl is approaching the age to be vaccinated for the HPV/Cervical Cancer shots. Is there anything special to be considered in her case? Is she more protected with my antibodies or more apt to develop cervical cancer, HPV just because she is my daughter. Any complications to consider? Have other mothers with HPV vaccinated their daughters? Any problems?

I aquired HPV in 1989 and they were born in 1996 and 2000? I give the dates because I most likely developed my antibodies and I did have the outbreaks well under control and only one sexual partner long before she was born. I welcome information and experiences about this topic. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:07 am 
Site Admin

Hi lizzyloo,

Children born to mothers with HPV can still contract the virus and, in rare cases, be at risk for HPV-related cancers. Your own HPV status probably should have no impact on decisions as to whether or not to give your daughter the vaccine. Her cervical cancer risk is largely independent and can essentially be eliminated with screening (such as Pap tests). The vaccine can help, too, and has the advantage of reducing pre-cancers that require follow-up (even though most of them are not dangerous at all).

I hope this helps, but please post again if other questions come up.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:25 am 

Thanks, Fredo

So, not to belabor the point I want to make sure I understand your response to say that:

my daughters may have a less like chance of contracting the virus than other girls

or

it says their risk is largely independent and their risk is the same as any other girl,

Regardless:

you think they should still be vaccinated.

Is ASHA supporting the recommendation that all teen girls be vaccinated with the Guardasil or whatever the brand name of the vaccine is?

Thanks,

lizzyloo

Hi lizzyloo,

Children born to mothers with HPV can still contract the virus and, in rare cases, be at risk for HPV-related cancers. Your own HPV status probably should have no impact on decisions as to whether or not to give your daughter the vaccine. Her cervical cancer risk is largely independent and can essentially be eliminated with screening (such as Pap tests). The vaccine can help, too, and has the advantage of reducing pre-cancers that require follow-up (even though most of them are not dangerous at all).

I hope this helps, but please post again if other questions come up.

Best,
Fredo[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:30 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
So, not to belabor the point I want to make sure I understand your response to say that: my daughters may have a less like chance of contracting the virus than other girls or it says their risk is largely independent and their risk is the same as any other girl...

Their risk is the same as any other girl. We certainly support HPV vaccines and believe they have the potential to do a world of good, but as we aren't a medical organization we stop short of making specific recommendations about what medical interventions people should have. CDC recommends that females ages 11-12 be routinely vaccinated, with "catch up" vaccination for those ages 12-26 who haven't received it.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]