ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:00 pm 

My PA flat out told me yesterday that she is baffled by my results, so I thought I would turn elsewhere to get some help. In December 2008, I had a regular pap smear, and was told that I had LSIL (after having only been sexually active for a year, mind you!). The PA did a colposcopy, a biopsy and an ECC (total cost was $650 as I didn't have insurance...ow!). Findings came back that I tested positive for high risk HPV, and mild displaysia. PA told me to come back in 6 months.

In June 2009, I went in for another Pap. This time, it came back HSIL. I did another colposcopy, biopsy and ECC. These are, word for word, the results:
"ECC: benign endocervical mucosa. HPV change or dysplaysia not identified. 6:00 Cervix, Colposcopic Biopsy: ectocervix with HPV change (CIN1). Dysplasia or malignancy not identified. The patient's Pap Smear is reviewed and the diagnosis of HSIL confirmed. There is not a correlative finding on the biopsy, presumably related to sampling."

Does anyone familiar with cervical pathology reports know what this means? My PA said that it meant there was nothing there...but I wonder if a)either the Pap was inaccurate, or b)the biopsy sampling that my PA did was done incorrectly (I read somewhere that that could happen and that it's very important to have someone do the biopsy who knows what they're doing). My PA suggested that my BF is "shedding" HSIL cells, and that's what they picked up on my Pap smear.

Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards doing a LEEP anyway in a couple of months (when I start grad school, after I get health insurance!). Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Wags,

I've never heard of the scenario where a partner sheds cells and the Pap detects them as a cervical lesion, so I'm not sure what that might mean! Sounds odd...

So the Pap is showing HSIL but the colposcopy/biopsy is normal... It seems from your report they took samples from both the interior and exterior areas of the cervix, which is a good thing.

The colpo/biopsy is usually seen as the diagnostic they rely on and you can probably go with what your PA is telling you here. If I obtain any insight into abnormal Pap/normal biopsy, I'll let you know.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]