ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:29 pm 

Hi! I haven't seen that question addressed in these forums or other websites, so I hope someone can help.

I have recently been diagnosed with 2 internal anal warts, which will be removed by electrocautery in a month.

My concern is: will I be able to receive anal sex after the surgery, or will the tissues remain scarred and too fragile for that? How will I know when the tissues are healed enough to engage in anal sex safely (protected, of course)? Would other treatments be preferrable?

Since I am a gay man and anal sex is an important part of my sexuality, this is a concern to me. I hope someone can help me with that.

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:04 am 
Site Admin

Hi Anthony,

Excellent question and I suspect the answer depends on how large the warts are, how much tissue is involved with the treatment, and things like that. I don't have much expertise in how the anus responds to electrocautery, but your doctor should be able to tell you how much scar tissue is typically involved.

I'll also run this by one of the experts we know here at ASHA to see if they can offer insight: I'll report back with anything I hear.

Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing, if you don't mind.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:21 pm 

Heya Anthony! I had electrocautery, although to the vulvar region. The thing about it, as it probably is for any wart removal procedure, is that you're going to need to allow it time to heal. This means that you're going to have to go without for a while =P Well, at least in regards to anal play; petting the one-eyed monster is still, obviously, fine :wink: It takes about a month for the wounds to heal properly and completely.

After that, I think it would be fine to receive anal sex---I would say just try to avoid being too rough just because of the fact that the anal mucosa is very thin. To be horribly scientific (blame med school), the vagina is stratified columnar epithelium (it's thicker layers of cells). However, the anus only has simple squamous epithelium---it's only one (small) cell layer thick. This makes it prone to tearing and injury.

Just be cautious and safe! Let us know how it goes.

Post subject: Follow up
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:44 pm 

Well,
The surgery went fine. I think that healing has been relatively fast (doctor said this was because the warts were all internal).
I've given it a good 2 months before having any anal sex (which was easy because my partner was abroad). Now it seems to be just like before (no problem).
I just have to be wary about new warts reappearing.
Thanks,
A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:34 am 
Site Admin

Anthony,

I REALLY appreciate you for coming back and giving us the update. I'm so happy things went well and you're doing much better now. Wonderful news! Thanks again and please feel free to keep in touch.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]