ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:30 pm 

Do they really look like all of those horrible, extreme pictures on the internet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:18 pm 

Noooooo. Definitely not. Those are some extreme cases. Either people who've let it go for absolutely too long, or some are of people who have like HIV with the HPV on top. The HIV, of course, effects the immune system. I've read that warts can look like many things. I've heard them resemble like skin tags, flat, smooth, etc.. Can come in a variety of colors from white, flesh colored, and reddish. Not all genital warts will look like those large califlower ones you see. They can be hard to find, but there are some pictures out there of more "normal" looking genital warts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:38 pm 

Thanks. Those pictures are enough to scare anybody into being celibate. However, it probably causes some people to think they don't have warts because their symptoms are not as severe

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:47 pm 

Exactly. I remember those genital wart pictures from sex ed in high school. They were also pretty extreme looking. That's what I figured they looked like. Then after contracting HPV, and reading up on it...imagine my surprise! There's been many times I've read where a person's had something they didn't think twice about before. Then when they get it check out, they find out this whole time it's been a wart. They had no clue, because they figured they looked like what you'd find in those extreme pictures.

wiggleworm wrote:
However, it probably causes some people to think they don't have warts because their symptoms are not as severe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:26 pm 

Does anybody know of a site online that has somewhat accurate pictures?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:14 am 
Site Admin

Generally we don't like to post images, or links to images, of warts because they aren't helpful within the context of this site. No one can use the pictures to accurately diagnose themselves (you need a healthcare provider for that), and the sites do often emphasize "worst case" scenarios that are far from typical.

Sorry we can't be more helpful.

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]