ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: When will I be clear?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:23 pm 

I think the question I have is the question everyone else has. When, if ever, will I be able to have sex and not spread HPV? Should I expect any outbreaks after that if I am a health person?

Fredo can you please answer? Are there any new studies done that might look promising?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:15 am 
Site Admin

Hi bobwelmack,

You can read some of our discussions around this topic at http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=394.

What we know is that most HPV infections clear naturally and don't usually recur way down the road unless someone's immune system is badly compromised. Researchers don't know for sure at what point someone is no longer likely to transmit HPV to a new partner, and for a number of reasons studies that look at this are difficult to do. Most of the experts we work with believe that when HPV-related lesions (like warts or cervical cell changes) are cleared for a number of months, the likelihood of transmission diminishes greatly. I think a number of them would say that while it cannot be proven, if lesions don't return over 12-24 months, then the risks of transmission are probably minimal. There's no way to put a more precise point to it, though, partly because there are some HPV infections that persist over a much longer period of time.

I hope this helps. I know the lack of a yes or no answer is frustrating. Please post again anytime you have questions.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]